X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need a good book to teach myself the command line in Kubuntu

Hi,
    I am really loving Kubuntu 10.10! I have my system all set up and running smoothly but need to learn the command line. I have previously used PCLinuxOS KDE and notice differences in commands. I need to take it to the next level. Any recomendations on literature? I noticed a book called Ubuntu Toolbox that looks interesting but wanted your opinions.

Thanks,

Penny

Re: I need a good book to teach myself the command line in Kubuntu

Online reference: Bash Reference Manual
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

BASH commands should be the same through and through.
      http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide is a comprehensive BASH guide with commands and everything.
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3091607.0 is an easier-to-understand guide with the very basics explained.

Combining these two (and my collegiate study skills!) helped me a lot.

Good luck!
      Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
      Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
      Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

http://okiebuntu.homelinux.com/blog/?p=238
        a "GUI" sort of for learning the command-line

Install instructions HERE

Comment

Originally posted by mystika1
          Hi, I am really loving Kubuntu 10.10! I have my system all set up and running smoothly but need to learn the command line. . . .
          The words "command line" can mean different things. The common usage in Linux refers to the basic utilities which come with a system. Utilities such as ls, mv, cp, cat, etc. You can add your own if you like. They're just programs. Larger programs and applications can also be started from the command line and take switches, so it it not just a matter of "utilities". A limited command line (without shell functionality) can be had in KDE by typing Alt-F2.

Another use of the word "command line" is in reference to a shell. Linux distributions commonly are set up to use bash. (Bourne again shell) However in some circles that is considered a bad choice. Everyone has different opinions - and needs. You can use a different one if you like. Check out ksh, zsh or tcsh. If you filter on "shell" in your package manager you will find those, and more. IOW, you are not limited to only using bash.

I'll let others make book recommendations. My suggestion would be that you get a free old computer and install the basic system without a GUI. Any old piece of junk will do, and Ubuntu Server is almost guaranteed to run on it if it is less than 15 years old. You can experiment with different distros, but Ubuntu Server is the same as Kubuntu without the KDE, so you will basically be learning Kubuntu command line. Do whatever you like with the system, but trying things like setting up a simple server for home use is all command line and the instructions are in the Ubuntu docs. Learning by doing is an old-fashioned, time proven method!

Comment

I just came across this Linuxconfig.org site. There's some relevant information there, and some free books which look right on.

Comment

Try http://linuxcommand.org/
              "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
              "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

open your package manager of choice and type " rutebook " in the search filed.

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

there was a referance page recently posted by wizard10000

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3113997.0

there was also a cli book that i think GG posted, but i can't seam to find it in my 3 second search.
                  that book was good i just can't remember what it was called.
                  Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                  (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Learning the Bash Shell is an excellent resource for learning the command line and also scripting.
                    Registered Linux user #346571

Comment

Working...
                    X