This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WUBI install vs. direct to HD install

After all the issues my sister has been having with trying to use Ubuntu and Kubuntu she is still trying, so that is great but I have to ask this question as I couldn't answer it and it is odd. When she tries to install Ubuntu or Kubuntu to the hard drive she has nothing but issues once installed. Hardware that should work doesn't or just poorly. However, she recently decided to just install via WUBI. It performs great there except her TV/DVR card which she is OK with that. I know how WUBI installs through Windows but on boot and choosing Ubuntu/Kubuntu what would be the difference that would make it work fine but a direct install not. Is there some mechanism that still goes through Windows before it boots Ubuntu/Kubuntu? She really hates WIN7 and it has screwed up so much she really wants to stick with Ubuntu/Kubuntu without Windows being a part of the system anywhere but this performance issue outside of a WUBI install is kind of perplexing. Anyone?

Re: WUBI install vs. direct to HD install

My guess is that it's Windows 7 itself that is 'maliciously' preventing the installation of an 'alien' OS.

The means that I would try are:

1) Use the Windows 7 Volume Management Utility (or what ever it's called). There is likely a restore point partition. IF she doesn't intend to utilize that feature in Windows 7, then delete it. Now resize the existing Windows 7 partition down as small as it will allow. By default, and as OEM, the entire HD is 'dedicated' to Windows 7 use. This is what Vista does also. Now you have the maximum unallocated HD space for use with Linux.

2) Use GParted to setup the unused space on the HD for use with Kubuntu. Recommended two partitions; one for root and one for /home. Create a swap partition if you need as well. Format the root and /home partition as ext3 (you can always convert the FS to ext4 later).

3) Reboot the PC with no CDs and enter the BIOS and set the root partition as bootable. Save and reboot with the Kubuntu LiveCD in the drive.

4) Boot into the Live Desktop (don't install directly from the initial LiveCD menu). Verify all works as expected, especially access to the Internet. If you have a wired connection, stick with that initially. Don't worry about getting wireless going at this point.

5) If all works as expected, opt to install Kubuntu from the running session. When you are at the point where you have to decide where to install Grub, make sure to install to the Linux root partition. VERIFY that that is where it will go. Install Kubuntu.

6) Configure Grub so that it 'sees' Windows 7 so you can select and boot into it from Grub.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It wasn't a mater of WIN7 boot process breaking things but rather "helping" her system. WUBI seems to do great just needed to now why a flat install to Disk (by itself) had issues but through a WUBI install it doesn't. Anyway, I couldn't really help her much because she was using Ubuntu. She is now on Kubuntu . So far still going good though a WUBI boot.

On a side not just recently did an fresh install of WIN7 and then Kubuntu (non-WUBI, actually on it's own partition) on a new machine. Believe it or not, WIN7 actually tried to prohibit anything else from accessing the monitor. How I don't know but had to put the monitor on an XP machine to "fix" it. After I placed it back on the new machine I prohibited WIN7 from "changing" any graphic settings. A shame that M$ feels they need to break things to limit people's choices. The same reason why my sister is looking elsewhere, the same similar issue with USB and WIN7 affected her system.

Comment

OK, I'm missing a detail here.

If you did a fresh install, and have Kubuntu on it's own partition (non-WUBI), how can WIN7 affect the OS? Is microsoft writing something to the MBR to affect non-MS systems?

Wouldn't put it past them though.

Comment

Moonrise@ See Dual-Boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu in Perfect Harmony and also Adding Windows 7 to Linux Multiboot
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Maybe I'm not making things clear here by "talking" too much of different things. Direct to Disk Install of (K)Ubuntu (NO WIN7 Involved here) nothing but system issues and hardware not detecting properly. With WIN7 direct to disk installed with NO direct to disk (K)Ubuntu but using WUBI for (K)Ubuntu install all OK. With WIN7 direct to disk install with dual boot with direct to disk (K)Ubuntu,(K)Ubuntu still has issues. It is only when installed though WUBI everything seems OK. NOW, with that new system I just started talking about I did WIN7 direct to disk dual booting with Kubuntu direct to disk with no issues what so ever, though I can say I specced it out myself, so I knew what would and would not work. All I was wondering is what is it with WUBI on this other machine (my sister's machine, not the new one) makes (K)Ubuntu configure all equipment OK, is it related to WIN7? Does WIN7 get involved first before WUBI during the initial boot process? Just odd. Anyway, she is very happy now that I switched her to Kubuntu outright instead of back and forth as it was very confusing trying to "teach". Sorry, I hate GNome so I don't bother trying to know much about it. Maybe it is the details I leave out. Sorry, I know it all in my head and I'm not that good at relaying those technical thoughts in my head. I see things differently and it is very difficult to relay that without taking a long time to write it out, so hope this does clarify things.

Now for the issue on the new machine and the Monitor. It is really odd. I can't explain it past what happens when I let WIN7 "adjust" the monitor. When I allow WIN7 to adjust it Kubuntu does not recognise the monitor. After having WINXP adjust the monitor Kubuntu sees it fine. The Monitor does have a "Made for WIN7" sticker so maybe there is something in the WIN7 driver that is proprietary to WIN7 and communicates to the monitor certain code? I don't know but I hate things that say it's just for one OS and not other. No telling what was "agreed" upon by the two parties.

Anyway, long winded explanations of past couple of weeks experience I hope clarifies things.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
            X