This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello GrayGeek

Hi GG, I just ran across a post you made on another site. I Joined here to say hello and I am glad to see you doing well. I miss your posts on the pclos forum and linux today. Come by the pclos forum and visit some times. I have come here for help and I also have been a member of ubuntu for years. I find help where ever I can get it. Take care and enjoy your retirement.

Re: Hello GrayGeek

Hi moniac!! How you doing?

You must be referring to this article.

I revisited the PCLinuxOS recently because I heard of their OpenBox release, managed by Melodie, who did excellent work. That distro is for old or under powered PCs. I booted the Gateway 400SD4 with the beta 2010-11-08 release and found that OpenBox ran well on it. Maverick reviews, and my VM experience with it, suggested that it was faster than Lucid and works well with 328MB or more. I booted that Gateway with it and found it to work beautifully as well, including automatically configuring the DL-650G PCI wireless card when I plugged it in. All I had to do was give it my ESSID and password to obtain a very fast connection. I've tried that 650G in a variety of hardware and distros but Maverick was the first to configure it automatically. Unfortunately, OpenBox wouldn't even see the hardware, which I found strange, but it made an instant connection with an ethernet cable from the back of my wireless router.

PCLinuxOS is an excellent distro, and I especially like the Control Center and its ability to configure a graphics card manually (create a complete xorg.conf file) regardless of what HAL does. TexStar and the gang do outstanding work. RPM was a frequent problem though, and when I discovered the stability of the .deb packaging system using apt-get and/or synaptic, along with almost three times the number of packages in the repository, I got hooked.

The friendliness of this forum is another big factor, along with the willingness to answer questions about problems with ANY OS (including Windows!).

My wife and I are LOVING retirement. I thought I might be spending it alone, but three years ago surgery with a De Vinci Surgical Robot repaired her blown Mitral valve and restored her energy and stamina better than it had been in more than 30 years. With three grand kids I found my time spent at this forum to be more profitable. While I read widely, I rarely post outside this forum (when compared to what I used to post elsewhere) except when egregious articles about Linux or Kubuntu are encountered. I've been thinking about cutting back on the time I spend here and spend some time helping with Lucid and Maveric documentation at the Kubuntu Wiki.

Take care!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hello and congrats.

I use PCLOS myself. I find their 32 bit os a solid distro for simplicity and stability. I grew up in the pre linux 2.0 days so I am sick and tired of hashing out drivers from scratch......and much, much more. Use it on two of my machines. On that runs a single core 32 bit processor ( oh the pain. an amd 3200 amd xp) and the other using a Core2Duo. Which only outperforms the 64bit os in floating point calculations and nothing else.

Perhaps, like you, I love the size of the repo list. But I do use Linux for my serious needs (Server, VPN server, ect_ due to the large database that is available to me. However I will have to go with the PCLOS version of KDE as the most stable and functional version of my favorite desktop. Though Enlightenment rocks, just saying..... On top of that PCLOS was based of my most favorite distro of all time during the 90's, Mandrake (now Mandriva)

In my experience Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu are pretty rock solid. I use ubuntu to screw around with thin clients and VPN's. Ironically, much easier to set up than the windows version of opvenvpn and putty. But i Digresss

Gppd luck and hope for the best for you.

Comment

Thanks, rvndmnmt!
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X