X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gimp 2.6.11 - where is it?

Gimp 2.6.11 was announced as available on October 4, 2010:
    GIMP 2.6.11 RELEASED 2010-10-04

GIMP 2.6.11 is a bug-fix release in the stable GIMP 2.6 series. Among other bug-fixes, it makes printing work with the recently released version 1.10 of the cairo library. Please have a look at the NEWS file for a detailed list of changes.

The source can be downloaded from ftp.gimp.org. Binary packages for various supported platforms should become available soon; please check the Downloads section.
    But here in Maverick 10.10 running KDE 4.5.3, Gimp is still at version 2.6.10.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Re: Gimp 2.6.11 - where is it?

Agreed: Where is it?

Answer: in this ppa:

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/matthaeus12...mp-svn/ubuntu/ maverick main

I don't have the install command handy, but it should be easy to search for.

But why is it not in the repositories, at least in experimental or proposed?

It cannot be compiled from source, or even installed as a package for that matter, without pulling in a lot of other stuff. In my opinion (based on not always pleasant experience), it's dangerous to pull a bunch of packages in from a personal ppa without knowing exactly how each one may affect the remainder of your system. Best on a deal like that to wait for it to be packaged by the system maintainers. So why, after several weeks, has this yet to happen?

It is available on aptosid, but there again, it has to be loaded from a personal repository. Seems to work fine there.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

OOps, sorry I messed up. Got confused with gimp 2.7.x.
      2.7 is on aptosid. Looks like 2.6.11 hasn't made it into the debian repositories at all.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Quotes
        (> FAQ: Repositories)

> UbuntuBackports
        and
        > StableReleaseUpdates

Once an Ubuntu release has been completed and published, updates for it are only released under certain circumstances, and must follow a special procedure called a "stable release update" or SRU...
        Ubuntu releases a new version of its OS every 6 months. After a release, the version of all packages stays constant for the entire 6 months...The Ubuntu team may apply important security fixes, but any new features or non-security bugfixes will not be made available.

This is where Ubuntu Backports comes in. The Backports team believes that the best update policy is a mix of Ubuntu's security-only policy AND providing new versions of some programs. Candidates for version updates are primarily desktop applications, such as your web browser, word processor, IRC client, or IM client. These programs can be updated without replacing a large part of the operating system that would affect stability of the whole system.

How to request new packages

When you need a package backported which is not currently available, create a new bug report in the Backports Product of Launchpad:...

New packages

New packages are going to the development release. Now it is the Natty.

> NattyReleaseSchedule
        > Natty Narwhal archive upload notification list
        > Natty Narwhal Testing and Discussion
        > Kubuntu UDS Natty
        > Kubuntu/Todo

Stable, published releases may get the new packages through the Backports.
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Says here (aptosid) that gimp 2.6.11 is in the Debian Sid repo. If you browse the repo and look at the package there, it will tell the dependencies. It may work OK on a Maverick system, even though, as Rog says, the *buntu policy prevents packaging it for 10.10.

Comment

Yeah, I should have know that. :P I wonder then, if in my LL 10.04 LTS, where I have the backports repository active, Gimp 2.6.11 will get pulled in. Have to boot in to it and see.

Added:
            Nope. Gimp 2.6.8 in LL 10.04, which I believe is the most current version available in the repos (for 10.04). I'm not going to loose any sleep over it. 2.6.8 (LL) and 2.6.10 (MM) work just fine.

Comment

FYI - Did the upgrade to Natty today. Except for a bunch of --force-overwrites, and a plasma crash fixed by deleting ~/.kde/share/config/plasm* it went very smoothly.
              But GIMP is still 2.6.10.

Comment

Originally posted by doctordruidphd
                But GIMP is still 2.6.10.
                Meaning that it has not been moved in to the *buntu repositories, to include Backports. Hmm.

Comment

Working...
                X