X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Software for authors?

Hi, everybody
    I am looking for software for authors. Currently I use kdissert to make the basical points of the story and kword for writing. Do you know other software which could help me?
    Thanks in advance

Re: Software for authors?

For what kind of Writting? I would think openoffice or abiword could take care of most of your needs as an author. Their are probably even templates floating around for some standardized novel formats.
    Or if you want to write a screenplay, Celtx is pretty decent:
    http://www.celtx.com/

Comment

AFAIK TeX/LaTeX-system is fairly popular among 'professional' writers

You can read more about it here:
      http://ctan.unsw.edu.au/info/lshort/english/lshort.pdf

Comment

Have you tried the KDE-APPS site?
        http://www.kde-apps.org

That's where I tend to look when I am hunting for software. If I find something I like the look of I fire up ADEPT and search for the app in ADEPT (with the *verse repositories enabled/added).

Hope this helps.............. FabreFaction
        "Computers can figure out all kinds of problems, except the things in the world that just don't add up."  James Magary

Comment

Thank you very much for your replies. I had suddenly left this forum last summer for business reasons and forgot to check " Notify me of replies". My excuses.

I have finally used koffice (the workstation with all its apps) It's an excellent tool if one has different kinds of data and wants to manage them easily.

As notetaking tool I used KnowIt. Zim (especially the newer version) is useful as well. One can use the same file for zim and quicknote (firefox notetaking extension). So information collected on internet can be managed later in zim (if one uses this tool as dashboard)

I hope this will help other authors.

PS. For scientific books, kword isnt as featureful as oowriter.

Comment

Originally posted by kbuser

I have finally used koffice (the workstation with all its apps) It's an excellent tool if one has different kinds of data and wants to manage them easily.
            Are you satisfied with the stability of kOffice?

Comment

You might want to test Writers Forge

The Writers Forge is a fiction authoring suite, an IDE for writers. The tool suite will provide integrated support for writing screenplays and prose, and developing plot and character. The backend will support many target formats, including XML and PDF.
              * Topic: Integrated Development Environments (IDE), Word Processors, Text Processing, Presentation

http://sourceforge.net/projects/writersforge/

Comment

Originally posted by Thulemanden
                I remember that the only real problem I had was filters (converting formats), not stability.
                I dont write all the time; so I dont know how things are now.
                Thanks for the info about Writers Forge.

Comment

Originally posted by kbuser
                  Originally posted by Thulemanden
                  I remember that the only real problem I had was filters (converting formats), not stability.
                  I dont write all the time; so I dont know how things are now.
                  Thanks for the info about Writers Forge.
                  You're welcome. Do a little translation myself. Conan Doyle.

I exp. that Koffice and OpO didn't exchange formatting very well. Lost formulas and style etc. Koffice seem no to crash more, but I don't trust it yet.

Comment

Working...
                  X