Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is or will be there any Kubuntu Server edition?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is or will be there any Kubuntu Server edition?

I know there's an Ubuntu Server edition but is there any way to get some kind of Kubuntu Server version of it?
    Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
    Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
    Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
    Using Linux since June, 2008

Re: Is or will be there any Kubuntu Server edition?

Unlikely. The whole point of a "server edition" is to not have the desktop, which is not needed for a server, and presents, at least in theory, an additional path for security violations. The "ubuntu" and "kubutnu" server editions would therefore be the same software.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I see, thanks for the info. Now I'd look if there's a real need to get a server edition at all. I wonder how I could accomplish a similar thing for a local network without getting that version.
      Multibooting: Kubuntu Noble 24.04
      Before: Jammy 22.04, Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
      Win XP, 7 & 10 sadly
      Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

If you mean set up a server with existing kubuntu or ubuntu software, all you would need to do is remove the desktop software, and possibly X as well. Do that on an experimental partition first. Actually I think you can change permissions in one of the /etc/X11 files to disallow graphical logins, don't remember which one off the top of my head.

You then get into the server with ssh, and ssh -X for gui applications, like gparted, which are a whole lot easier to use than their cli counterparts..
        We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

I just installed Ubuntu server today. The biggest differences from the normal desktop install are there's no graphical desktop installed at all but the installer has special package choices tailored to server setups.

My suggestion is to install the 10.04 Ubuntu server, then after you're running, type "sudo install kubuntu-desktop".

I've opted to leave it without a desktop and am using Webmin and ssh to get it set up. Took a couple of hours but I have nfs, samba, printers, apache2 all running. Postfix is next then some monitoring tools.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X