• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux From Scratch

Don't know a thing about it but have seen some interest in it around here:
    http://linuxquestions.tradepub.com/free/w_linu01/

(re: free eBook)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Re: Linux From Scratch

There is a "build it yourself from source" distro of Linux called "Linux From Scratch" (LFS)
    http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
    You can download the latest version of their free book from here.

About 6 or 7 years ago I began going through the steps to build LSF. It was a real lesson in the operation of the classic Linux architecture, but most distros don't follow that paradigm any more. For example: distros used to control the boot up process with /etc/inittab (Initialization Table) which was a text file you could modify to change the way your system booted. You won't find inittab on Kubuntu.

But, I wouldn't change Kubuntu's automatic processes for the way things were 5 to 10 years ago. I may not be editing inittab, but I have as much control over my distro as I use to have. It's just done in different ways.

So, bottom line, using or learning LFS is useful IF you run LFS. Think of it this way: the difference between how openSUSE is managed and Kubuntu is managed. If you've run SuSE you know what I mean,

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Personally I found it a waste of time, I went half way through and gave it up, it's basically copying and pasting commands to the CLI. Sure, you get an idea what gets into the system what is the order to build stuff and the complexity of the stuff, but really it's not that much learning involved. And you can't even use the system build because you can't really upgrade it (unless you are brave enough to add a package manager to it)

Comment

Perhaps, just perhaps, as part of a learning experience for future admins. Some script writing is necessary, but not C or C++ coding. So, all one is doing is using ./configure, make, and "make install" commands, plus LOTS of dependency resolutions, flag settings, etc...

I got about 1/3rd the way into it and decided it was more work than fun and little to be learned from the process. Sort of like the way I feel about Gentoo.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I learnt more about Linux using ArchLinux than LFS (and the former has a rather excellent package manager). But if you want a computer that "just works" stick with one of those "complete" distros which have everything stuffed into them already and which, if you install something, give you a decent default setting which includes the setting up of daemons, etc..

My 2cs
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Never used it, but I've heard mentioned that Slackware is the right distro to use to learn stuff about Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by toad
              I learnt more about Linux using ArchLinux than LFS ...
              I had the same experience. Tried LFS, read all the reading material and advance reading, and learned more using Arch.
              Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
              X