Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installer crashed and I'm left with an unwanted partition, help?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installer crashed and I'm left with an unwanted partition, help?

Some information about my PC beforehand, just in case it helps:

Windows XP
    AMD Sempron 3000+ Processor ( Sometimes labeled as 990MHZ, sometimes as 1.8 GHZ. )
    832 MB of RAM. 128MB SD, Rest DDR.
    ATI Radeon Xpress 200 integrated Graphics

TSSTCorp DVD/CDW Drive
    Lucent Win Modem
    80GB Hard Drive

Windows XP SP2

Now to my question,

A few weeks ago I ordered some Ubuntu discs (As I have dial-up) and particularly liked Kubuntu. So I did what any sane person would do and decided to dual boot it with Windows XP.

I alotted 30 GB of HD space to kubuntu, and startyed the installer, which ran fine until about 70 - 80% completion. It crashed and left me with a bug report that I should copy and pasted for assistance, but because I have dial-up and the crash went back to the Kubuntu live session, not windows, I couldn't have done anything with it anyways.

I ran the installer again, and the next time it worked absolutely fine. Problem is, I'm left with a huge, but thoroughly useless 30GB partition on my Hard Drive! D:
    Windows and Kubuntu barely have any room to breathe, and I wanna get rid of that nasty partition.

I do NOT have any sort of boot CD for Windows XP, so anything regarding formatting my entire Drive and then restoring only windows and linux wont work.

Any help would be great, and feel free to ask me any questions. (Oh, and if this topic doesn't belong here, sorry! If you could just pardon my ignorance and move it to where it belongs, that would be great.)

Re: Installer crashed and I'm left with an unwanted partition, help?

OK so as of now you have a 1- XP partition 1-Kubuntu partition and 1-empty 30Gig partition?

and both Kubuntu and XP are bootable and usable ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yeah, pretty much. But the 30 GB Partition isn't empty, It has Ubuntu installed onto it, but not completely, and is still useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Scamper
        Yeah, pretty much. But the 30 GB Partition isn't empty, It has Ubuntu installed onto it, but not completely, and is still useless.
        not necessarily........you can use it for storage for Kubuntu or format it NTFS and use as shared storage between XP and Kubuntu ............or use a Gparted live cd to delete it and grow one of the others into the free space.

Q did you make a swap partition for Kubuntu?

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

I do have a SWAP partition, two of 'em. One for the complete installation, and one for the incomplete one.

How would I go about formatting it as NTFS to use between XP and Ubuntu? If possible I'd much rather do that than give it all to just one other OS.

Comment

ubuntu or Kubuntu ?

install gparted and use that.

VINNY

16GB RAM

Comment

I was avoiding the GParted live CD because of it's huge size, but went ahead nad mooched off my friend's internet and got it anyways.

It did the trick.

Comment

Originally posted by Scamper
                I was avoiding the GParted live CD because of it's huge size, but went ahead nad mooched off my friend's internet and got it anyways.

It did the trick.
                Is everything now solved? If not output this command so we can view your hard drive partitions. Either use Livecd or if you can boot to Ubuntu that would be good:
                From a Terminal prompt type:
                Code:
                sudo fdisk -l
                Boot Info Script

Comment

Working...
                X