This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

help plz ^_^

ok, so i've been playing with kubuntu for a few months now, and overall i absolutely love the build, plus being the geek i am, i've decided it'd be fun to tinker with the scripting for the applications to see if i can get them to run better. i've had some successes and some failures so far but two weird problems are occuring now.

1. i can't run any video from zshare

and 2. i can't mount my cdrom drive

the story behind the cdrom drive is i did have it mounted and working at one point, but one day i leaned over and the cdrom drive slid out (didn't have a screw securing the cdrom drive into my laptop, my bad, lol) and ever since then it won't recognize cdrom0 or cdrom as a plausible device in the /dev/ folder.........actually i have issues with flash drives too but those can wait lol, any and all help appreciated ^_^

p.s.: almost forgot, i'm running gecko and flashplayer-alternative.so for flashplayer 10 in my firefox libraries.......and i'm using firefox lol, konqueror just has always had a tendancy to crash on me

Re: help plz ^_^

Regarding the CDrom drive, it sounds like one of the cables could be in crooked. That happens easily when the drive falls out - been there. Boot from a live CD to check if the drive works. If it does then its not your installation.

Comment

is laptop cdrom drive, no cables required, but i did actually install windows on a seperate partition after this issue came about, so yeah, i'm sure it still works, just won't let me mount it.

Comment

How are you mounting the CD? I'm using Kubuntu 8.04 and it automounts under it's own label, not as cdrom or cdrom0. I'm pretty sure that's what 10.04 does as well. I assume you've checked by typing mount.

Comment

when i did the mount command in the konsole (under root) the first time i did "mount /dev/cdrom cdrom" and i got it to take, and i was actually working on finding a good program to watch dvd's with when the drive slipped out.......it was working :-(, now when i do it it returns and error saying "mount: mount point cdrom does not exist"

Comment

What version of Kubuntu are you running?
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Codekid
              when i did the mount command in the konsole (under root) the first time i did "mount /dev/cdrom cdrom" and i got it to take, and i was actually working on finding a good program to watch dvd's with when the drive slipped out.......it was working :-(, now when i do it it returns and error saying "mount: mount point cdrom does not exist"
              No no, I meant type:
              Code:
              mount
              You don't have to be root.

Edit: BTW, your command gives the same results on my machine with two optical drives that both work perfectly.

Comment

uuuummmmm.....lol, i can't remember which one i loaded, but it's using the abi 2.6.32-24 boot loader, also i figured out why i couldn't mount anything. i guess when my laptop crashed a few weeks back, it had changed some of the advanced settings, so it wasn't allowing anything to mount to my computer, lol. so that solves the cdrom and usb issue (just tested them ^_^), now i just need to figure out why zshare isn't working with kubuntu ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Codekid
                  uuuummmmm.....lol, i can't remember which one i loaded, but it's using the abi 2.6.32-24 boot loader, also i figured out why i couldn't mount anything. i guess when my laptop crashed a few weeks back, it had changed some of the advanced settings, so it wasn't allowing anything to mount to my computer, lol. so that solves the cdrom and usb issue (just tested them ^_^), now i just need to figure out why zshare isn't working with kubuntu ..........
                  You're welcome.

Comment

thank you ole juul

Comment

lol, I'm glad it all worked in the end.

We still have to get your zSHARE working. I don't know much about
                      video. Could zSHARE be doing something unusual? I've often found
                      these kinds of sites cultivate some really annoying habits.

Comment

well it was working until just a few days ago, and i haven't updated recently, but anything hosted on zshare, will just not load a video. it'll pop up and say it's from zshare and load the player, but the video never loads o.0, but it works just fine on the windows side of this laptop XD

Comment

Working...
                        X