This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE SC 4.5.1 Install(s) with Details and Fixes

Two different installs of KDE SC 4.5.1. Both with Linux Mint 9 (KDE Version) SORRY EVERYONE, I have a soft spot for Mint's Artwork....
    1. Dell XPS M1330 Dual Core, Nvidia Go 8400M GS, 4 GIG RAM, 320GB 7200 PRM Hard Drive.
    2. Dell Vostro 3300 i5 Intel with on-board graphics, 4 GIGS RAM, 320GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive.

On both systems I started with a fresh install of Linux Mint 9 KDE, added back-ports and updated (sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f) and then booted into the desktop. I then added back-port repositories to enable full updates to KDE SC 4.5.1. On both systems after the full upgrade, I went into Dolphin (both root and home folders and renamed the .kde folders to .kde.OLD. I wanted to make sure I was starting with fresh configuration files!
    The Dell XPS M1330 Booted into the system fine and had NO graphic problems. Install of software went fine and a great improvement over KDE SC 4.4.5. HOWEVER, I ran into TWO different problems. First, Nepomuk and Strigi search did NOT work from Krunner as it did so well in 4.4.5. So, I did a lot of Google-ing and finally I decided to carefully add Maverick resources to my Lucid repositories. The Nepomuk versions seemed the same, however,
    the strigi plug-ins were all updated for Maverick. I carefully updated ONLY the Strigi plug-ins and turned off Nepomuk search services. I deleted the:
    /home/user/.kde/share/apps/nepomuk/ folder
    /home/user/.kde/share/config/nepomukserverrc file
    /home/user/.kde/share/config/nepomukstrigirc file. I ALSO UNCHECKED ALL MAVERICK SOURCES! I rebooted and enabled Nepomuk under System Settings and let in re-index my specified folders. After that, it worked correctly.
    Secondly, Dolphin was acting strangely with freeze-ups and quitting. In the KDE forums under this topic, "[KDE 4.5.1] Right click on files/folders is freezing Dolphin." I found a launckpad repository with upgraded libdbus packages which seemed to solve the problems.
    So, my observation is it may be best to wait until Maverick come out and avoid a few hassles.
    My new Vostro 3300 proved to be a little more problematic. not only did I have to fix the Strigi packages and update the libdbus packages (the ppa for the libdbus files can be found here, https://launchpad.net/~aleksander-m/+ar ... evelopment)
    Because I opted for the Intel graphics chip I had no blur effect and my pop-up thumbnails had no images in them. Again, after searching on the web and this forum I found that blacklisting the, "Lanczos," filters in the, ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
    file I was able to restore pictures to my thumbnails. The blur effect I found would work if I kept turning it down in System Settings to, "less intensity," I breathed a sigh of relief and went on. Two days later I decided to try one more experiment. I COMPLETELY BACKED UP MY SYSTEM WITH, " BACKINTIME," FIRST! Next I added "xorg-edgers fresh X crack" to my repository and updated the system. MAKE SURE YOU INSTALL ppa-purge in case it borks your system! After it upgraded the packages and I rebooted and Kwin seemed more reponsive. I lost my pop-up thumbnail pictures but was able to turn up blur to the recommended settings. In the ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc file I had to update the blacklist information for the Lanczos filter and once again I have working pop-up thumbnails. Yeah!?!?
    WOW, the new Intel Graphics Chipset proved to be quite a problematic stinker! Now that it's up and running I'm leaving it alone. That was a lot of work. Newbies stay away Linux veterans should have pretty good luck, I hope.
    If anyone has any questions or needs any help to my post please reply to my post, Thank You!!

Re: KDE SC 4.5.1 Install(s) with Details and Fixes

I moved this post. While you have a KDE question, you are not running Kubuntu, and so, posting it where you did was not appropriate. In fact, you should be asking your questions on the Linux Mint KDE Forum
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
      I moved this post. While you have a KDE question, you are not running Kubuntu, and so, posting it where you did was not appropriate. In fact, you should be asking your questions on the Linux Mint KDE Forum
      Exactly. Problems with Mint do not belong here, ask them in the Mint forum instead.

As you you were mentioning "Maverick sources" and "Launchpad":
      Do not use (K)ubuntu repositories (official ones or Launchpad ones) on Mint!
      Doing that is the fastest way to cause massive breakage in Mint. They screwed around with Mint quite a bit, and as a result, it's not fully compatible with (K)ubuntu anymore. If you did a clean install of Mint (Gnome or Kde version) and then installed Kde from the Kubuntu repositories on top of it, then you will have problems, and plenty of them! Same goes for Launchpad repositories - they're meant for use on (K)ubuntu *only*, not for Mint!

Format and fresh install would be probably much quicker than trying to resolve the resulting issues. If you do a reinstall, you have two options:
      - Install Kubuntu right away, then you can use the Kubuntu repositories and Launchpad repositories just fine. You won't have any of the Mint-specific troubles either.
      - Install Mint, but then you must *exclusively* use the Mint repositories. Do not use the Kubuntu or Launchpad repositories on Mint!

As for the oh-so-great artwork: There's only the wallpaper that's only on Mint (and I don't see what's supposed to be so great about it). Simply copy it over, and that's it. On Mint Gnome, some of the icons have been colourised in a sickly green, the Kde icons haven't been touched. That's all the artwork already.
      Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        although i agree that posts about mint do not belong here,the post is not a question. questions have question marks.

Originally posted by Casper315
        SORRY EVERYONE, I have a soft spot for Mint's Artwork....
        wait a second people use the default artwork? (see a question mark :P )
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X