This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No sound at all - tried everything I can find

I installed Linux Mint and upgraded to KDE 4.5. At that time I had sound working but I found that Amarok would not play any music of any format. In trying to fix that problem I have ended up without any sound at all. I have tried the following things to try to fix the issue:

1) Checked alsamixer does not have any channels muted or set to zero volume;
    2) Checked that kmix does not have any channels muted or set to zero volume;
    3) Re-installed amarok and phonon;
    4) Checked that xine is selected as the backend in systemsettings > multimedia;
    5) Tried to switch to a gstreamer backend for phonen.
    6) Checked that I am a member of the audio group;
    7) Checked the unmodified root account to see if I have audio in there - I don't.

If anyone has any suggestions then I would love to hear them!

Re: No sound at all - tried everything I can find

Try removing pulse.

It worked here
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I have also seen some platforms that worked only after pulse was remove --purged.

However, before you do that, did you look in the Kmix to see if there is a "speaker" channel? I'm not sure when that little trick appeared, but I've seen multiple KDE 4.5 systems with no sound, due to the "speaker" channel not being activated in Kmix, or being muted by default.

Comment

I have an Intel ich10 HDA internal audio card and depending on how I'm plugged in, there are 4 different channels that effect the volume - Master, Front, Digital, and IEC958

Please Read Me

Comment

I had the same problem, and I put the PCM all the way up and bingo sound is now working

Comment

This thread is locked. This is the second 'non-Kubuntu' thread posted here in KFN. This is a Mint issue, and needs to be asked on the Mint Forums.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X