Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Calendar and Thunderbird/Lightning - save to Disk?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Calendar and Thunderbird/Lightning - save to Disk?

Hi

The title says it all I suppose. Google's not been my best friend on this occasion as I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I have an imap account with gmail and google calendar and I use thunderbird and lightning to access them. Clearly the main attraction is to access them from anywhere via a browser. However, it would be nice if everything would work offline. Mail works great in thunderbird and it appears to save them for offline use. Lightning is a different matter, however, as it always starts with a blank calendar and often the data takes quite some time to load. If I'm offline I see nothing.

I have just discovered Lightnings experimental cache function. From my brief experience of it it seems to work okay. However, is there a better way I wonder? I'm thinking along the lines of having Lightning access a calendar on my HDD which is the one displayed (so it's up and running straight away ) which I can then sync with the google calendar. Is this feasible? If so, I'd really appreciate a how-to as I can't seem to find anything about it (which makes me wonder whether it's doable.

TIA

Re: Google Calendar and Thunderbird/Lightning - save to Disk?

From the sounds of it you want GCALDaemon http://gcaldaemon.sourceforge.net/index.html It allows you to have a calendar on your HDD, that syncs with Google Calendar when you are online. It worked okay when I used it a few years ago, I haven't tried it in a while so I'm not sure how good it is right now.

Comment

Re: Google Calendar and Thunderbird/Lightning - save to Disk?

Thanks, I'll take a look at it.

Comment

Working...
      X