This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How old is your favorite computer?

I'm pretty much interested in your favorite PC, the one you want to use until you upgrade the whole system, Linux or any other OS makes no difference (my sympathies go to those using DOS and Arachne).

Feel free to explain any details you wish, but you only have one vote (you can change that vote).
    <1 year, got it new
    0%
    <1 year, got it used
    0%
    1-2 years, got it new
    0%
    1-2 years, got it used
    0%
    2-3 years, got it new
    0%
    2-3 years, got it used
    0%
    3-4 years, got it new
    0%
    3-4 years, got it used
    0%
    4-5 years, got it new
    0%
    4-5 years, got it used
    0%
    5-6 years, got it new
    0%
    5-6 years, got it used
    0%
    6-7 years, got it new
    0%
    6-7 years, got it used
    0%
    7-8 years, got it new
    0%
    7-8 years, got it used
    0%
    8-9 years, got it new
    0%
    8-9 years, got it used
    0%
    More than 9 years, got it new
    0%
    More than 9 years, got it used
    0%

Re: How old is your favorite computer?

My current laptop - a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6147 - was purchased sometime in 2007. It replaced my then aged Sony Vaio, which finally had the backlight go out. It wasn't worth paying the cost to have it repaired, and it was only a 14" screen. But, I had it for nearly seven years, and it was my only PC, and used a lot. Hopefully this Toshiba will last as long (or longer).
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This poll doesn't really fit the home-build desktop that I use... it was never new or used... I use a rolling-build

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
        This poll doesn't really fit the home-build desktop that I use... it was never new or used... I use a rolling-build
        I was just noting the same thing. Don't most people capable of tweaking Linux just buy parts? I once bought a new one and it was the worst investment I've ever made so you'll find me dissing storeboughts at every turn. My main box says pentium II on it. lol. That's because it is a superior box which I can keep putting stuff in for as long as I can adapt some MB into it. The internals were bought new though, and the PS will probably hang in there for a couple of generations so a "new" computer would just be an MB/CPU/RAM upgrade as needed. I don't do video editing so that could be some years.

(my sympathies go to those using DOS and Arachne).
        I hope that wasn't intended as an insult. I have Arachne available for when the broadband goes down and it doesn't really get used. BUT, I run DOS much of the day because of what it can do for me which other OSs can't.

Edit: I forgot to add that I voted on my most powerful computer. My favourite is a, well how do you describe it, made up, frame only (I hate boxes) perfectly balanced P1 based DOSbox. Picture here (top one). Specs here.

Comment

+1 for the "rolling release" desktop, rolling release distro to match

Laptop is a used Thinkpad T41 which I have had for probably seven years, but it was two years old by that stage (but don't chop my head off if they only started manufacturing it a year later or so). It's got a 1600 Celeron processor, 16mb ATI graphics card, a juiced up 160GB IDE hard drive and a massive 1GB RAM and flies along KDE4 has recently been ditched in favour of Openbox followed by lxde - still sticking to KDE apps though. That without doubt is my favourite piece of indestructible hardware. I bought it at the time 'cos my Thinkpad 600E didn't cut the mustard when it came to watching films (it simply refused).
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

My retirement present: Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Mine is around 6-7 years and I got it new. It's a Asus Vintage-PE1 (P4 3.0GHz, 512RAM, 80GB HD, Onboard sound and vga chipset). I bought 1 more GB of RAM and a decent graphic card. Never had a problem, except for the hard drive, became too slow from the first times, when I was learning about computers. Bad advices with slow anti-virus and lack of knowledge made me screw the disk, but still it survived some years, now it's only for storing files. Anyway, when I get the money I hope to buy a better one, but Linux keeps this one working just fine, fast, responsive, safe and productive. It's really amazing to get all this with a old computer like this.

Comment

Netbook is less than a year old. I built my desktop PC about 14 months ago.
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

Same here - rolling-release desktop
                  Shinda Sekai Sensen<br /><br />Kubuntu Maverick RC x64 w/ Kde 4.5.2 (main)<br />Kubuntu 10.04 x64 w/ Kde 4.5.1 to be wiped, no point in keeping it any longer

Comment

My current desktop is also a "rolling" release, but has stable for awhile. It's also an LTS version.

Snowhog: You can change backlights yourself in most lappy's. I fixed my neighbors awhile back for about $14. Of course, Sony's are different...

Please Read Me

Comment

+ another. Recently new MB and i5 quad core.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard10000
                        Netbook is less than a year old. I built my desktop PC about 14 months ago.
                        I have a desktop which has been updated periodically.

Comment

I built this computer for college. It's been almost 6 years now and it hasn't seen anything but Linux. I'm starting to crave a pci-e bus, though.
                          Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
                          Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
                          Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Ahhh, you guys are putting too much thought into it!

You could simply vote according to the newest part in the box.... I built my system as well and the newest part I've added was the Buffalo Technologies WiFi card (its a dreaded Broadcom 4306 but when it gets configured properly, it is fine), so that was the date I entered when I voted. I haven't added nor removed any data parts since then (just a power supply upgrade since the Buffalo), so that is as NEW as it gets.

I didn't list my newest system, an EeePC900A that I've upgraded, because I don't use that system as much as I use this desktop, the desktop is my favorite.

That was easy, right?

Comment

Working...
                            X