This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much do you pay for broadband?

I have been wondering about the download speeds and costs involved from other countries.
    I pay $60 per month (in Australian dollars) and get 256K download speed (actual download speed is usually 27K) with no download limit. I live in a small country town, so we don't have the benefit of cable, just ADSL.
    I thought it was funny when I downloaded the new Dapper release. It took 22 hours, and I saw on the forums someone complaining that it took 2 hours. Would just like to see a comparison between what we have here and what the rest of the world has.
    Cheers
    Lowey
    I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Re: How much do you pay for broadband?

Hey Lowey -

Your download speed : 4380 kbps or 547.5 KB/sec.
    That is 17.1% better than an average user on adelphia.net

Your upload speed : 428 kbps or 53.6 KB/sec.
    That is 18% worse than an average user on adelphia.net

That's based on a test from www.dslreports.com I pay roughly US $30 and have no limits (that I'm aware of!) I'm in a rural town in Northern Idaho using cable.

Comment

I'm from Portugal and I've got a 4Mb cable connection which has a 40GB international limit and no national limit. For that connection I pay about 45€.

The down side is that sometimes the service sucks a bit (slow connections) and there are some downtime issues.

Comment

Hi,
        I am from France and I pay for a 30 euros package named freebox.
        Freebox comprises a cable connection, tv and telephone calls.

Speeds are not always stable but are performant. For exemple, downloading Dapper takes about half an hour. Tv channels are about one hundred, thirty of which are free. Telephone calls for France and 14 other countries are free.
        There are even cheaper companies but freetelecom has a good reputation.

Comment

Hi, kbuser, I didn't even think about the cost of phone calls and paytv.
          If I add those up, to go along with the high cost of my crap ADSL connection, it's probably costing me a total of about $AU210 (about 122 EUR).
          I wish I was the man my dog thinks I am.<br /><br />Registered Linux User No. 402825

Comment

At my house we have Rogers Ultra-Lite and the standard price is $21.95/mth for 128Kbps download and 64 kbps upload, meaning it took me twice the amount of time Lowey did to download the Kubuntu iso (well, not really, I d/l at 17 Kb/s). We pay a bit higher than that though because we pay for cable and internet on one bill. But as soon as I get a job, I will be paying $10.00 a month to my parents to pay for the difference between ultra lite and lite, and if things are going well I will pay $22 for Express, and after I buy an Xbox 360 + Halo 3 (already have >$1000CAD saved up for with 2 controllers and 2 mics... yeah it's a pain to pay for my brother too, but worth every penny because I'd have someone to play with), I will shell out $25 a month for Extreme so I can get host.
            <br /><br />*temp. hiatus from forums due to comp + net broken* :&#039;(

Comment

At my flat we pay $50 New Zealand dollars per month with a 5 GB monthly limit. After we use up the 5 GB, it kicks us down to 128Kbps speed until the new cycle. Broadband is one of these things I really miss about the U.S. No bandwidth limit and fast speeds. Oh, and I'm DSL right now but about to switch to some wireless provider because I can get 10 GB limit for only $10 more. There's no Cable internet in NZ as far as I'm aware.

Comment

Hi,

I live in Holland. There are lots of Broadband providers here to choose from (ADSL + Cable). I believe I currently use one of the best ADSL-providers. NO downtime in 10 months, friendly support. I pay Euro 34,95 per month for ADSL 8 Mbit/s Download and 1 Mbit/s Upload + Unlimited bandwidth + High-speed access (around 850 Kbytes/s downloads) to one of the Worlds Top-10 Newsservers with 100.000 newsgroups and minimum 30 days retention.

Regards,

Comment

I have something like 3 megabit cable, and it's bundled with my digital cable to the tune of $92/month CDN. I think the internet part is $42.95/month. 768K upload. I average between 170 and 230 KB/s downloads. At work, we have the city's DSL and it's $44.95/month for 5 megabit down, 1.5 megabit up. It's noticeably faster than my cable connection, but I can't get DSL at my place because I'm too far out. We have Bell Sympatico in the area too, but again, I'm too far out. If I was on the OTHER side of town ...

All connections have no advertised limits, but if you start going insane, like 2-300GB/month, they'll call and tell you to cool it or they'll cut you off. It's really only those who abuse P2P networks that get warned. I only know of one guy locally who got a warning. Turned out his machine was a zombie ...

I was impressed with our city DSL provider. They noticed on the logs a lot of email traffic from our IP (static IP at the office) and called to see what was going on. Turned out a co-worker's computer had a spam relay installed by an IE drive-by. Really helped my push to ban IE in the office.

Comment

Working...
                  X