Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I get KRDC / KRFB or equivilent to work over the internet?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I get KRDC / KRFB or equivilent to work over the internet?

I've used KRDC / KRFB for computers in my house. But now, I need to access a computer over the Internet. Can it be done with these programmes or must I use something else?

Raoul

Re: How can I get KRDC / KRFB or equivilent to work over the internet?

Unless you were doing so (in your house) with direct cabling between the PCs (which I doubt you were doing), then you were accessing them 'over the Internet.' Accessing a PC 'outside of your home' using the protocols you have used to access a PC 'inside your home' is no different. The PC you are wanting to connect to just has to have appropriate client software installed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

From what I understood, it worked in the house because it was accessing any computer connected to the same router. I now need to access a computer in Florida. It, like me, also has Kubuntu 10.04.

What clients would I need if these do not do the job. Or, if these can do it then how? I know that somewhere in there, I'll need to give the computers IP address. Would these client take care of that?

Comment

If you are using KRDC, use the email 'invitation' method.

Comment

I did that. It only sends the IP address for the in-house computer (connected to the same router). It seems it only works with local area networks. Is there a way for it to use the isp supplied ip address?

Comment

your router will need to foward a port to the serving machine (the port depends on what port the program uses.) then you should be able to connect over internet (using your wan side ip )
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Take a look at LogMeIn For Linux: Access Your LogMeIn Computers Remotely From A Linux PC

Comment

I've been exceptionally happy with FreeNX. It's about as secure as it gets although I've gotta play with it some more to get shadow sessions working - but logging on to my desktop PC from my netbook it's as fast as working from the machine itself.

Ubuntu's documentation leaves a bit to be desired but when you get it running it's just great. Highly recommended.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/FreeNX
                we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                -- anais nin

Comment

just do note that there is a bit of a difference between Nx and KRFB ,
                  NX will start a new session(at or around :1000) and can never connect to the login on display:0.
                  KRFB (or rfb programs vnc) can only connect to display:0

now what exactly does that mean for practical use? well for ever Nx user a new login will be started this keeps you from seeing whats on the screen thats connected to the machine.(as well as anyother nx users X sessions). where as the RFB software will show you what is seen on the local screen.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                    just do note that there is a bit of a difference between Nx and KRFB ,
                    NX will start a new session(at or around :1000) and can never connect to the login on display:0.
                    KRFB (or rfb programs vnc) can only connect to display:0

now what exactly does that mean for practical use? well for ever Nx user a new login will be started this keeps you from seeing whats on the screen thats connected to the machine.(as well as anyother nx users X sessions). where as the RFB software will show you what is seen on the local screen.
                    Yup. This is why I'm still trying to get shadow sessions working - so I can connect to display:0 instead of starting a new session

If you're trying to remote control an existing session NX ain't the thing. If all you want is access to the remote PC IMO there's nothing better.

we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                    -- anais nin

Comment

don't get my wrong my server runs NX since i have no need to access local display just to admin. i know but i get lazy sometimes and like the gui.

Comment

Working...
                      X