Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FireFox crashed ... anyone see this error?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FireFox crashed ... anyone see this error?

jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$ firefox
    LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so [/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32]
    no talloc stackframe around, leaking memory
    Aborted
    jerry@sonyvgnfw140e:~$
    I'm running the 64bit version of Kubuntu 10.4, with 32 bit compatibility supplied by the ia32-lib file. It appears that the 32bit version of nphelix.so is not compatible with the latest version of the ia32-lib library and is leaking enough memory to cause an abend.

The BP website has a listing of 12 video streams one can use to watch what is going on at the Deep Horizon well head. About a week ago BP changed the layout of that page so that instead of having to click on links to open a video all 12 videos were displayed in live thumbnail fashion, with a link underneath each if one wanted to watch any of them in a bigger format. My FireFox installation worked well with the new format on that page.

On July 12 an automatic update of ia32-libs was installed. Since that update the BP video stream page always crashes FireFox. Removing all of FireFox and its related apps and plugings and reinstalling them did not help.

Please try out that page with FireFox IF you are running the 64bit Kubuntu 10.4 with the July 12th updates and let me know what happened. Thanks.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Re: FireFox crashed ... anyone see this error?

worked fine here

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      LoadPlugin: failed to initialize shared library /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/nphelix.so
      I know you asked for reports from 10.4 users, but FWIW:

I don't know what that plugin is supposed to do. It doesn't exist on my Hardy 8.04 system with Firefox 3.6.6. It also does not exist on my Jaunty 9.04 system with Firefox 3.0.19. I am able to view the streams just fine with the mozilla-mplayer plugin. I wonder if you've tried that.
      Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Thanks, Telengrad, you gave me an idea!

I did "aboutlugin" in the url of a tab and couldn't find nphelix.so listed as a plugin in FireFox.
        So, I went to http://plugindoc.mozdev.org/linux.html and search for "helix" and found the HelixPlayer plugin. (I should have remembered that, even with a 69 year old brain .

So, I am going to remove "Helix Player" and see if that helps.

EDIT:
        I removed "realplayer", ran FireFox and pointed it at the BP video page. It crashed with a single message:
        "Abort".

I reinstalled RealPlayer and again tried to open the page. This time it worked.

EDIT:
        The next time I tried it FireFox crashed again, and with the same error as the first time: nphelix.so class error.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Re: FireFox crashed ... anyone see this error?

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          I removed "realplayer", ran FireFox and pointed it at the BP video page. It crashed with a single message:
          "Abort".

I reinstalled RealPlayer and again tried to open the page. This time it worked.
          I can't understand why you would want Real, but if it works for you then I suppose that's fine.
          Welcome newbies!
          Verify the ISO
          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
          X