This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adobe & BBC : Linux, Windows and Mac open to attack

As explained above, in Linux, the file is called libauthplay.so It is NOT a windoze dll. I have not yet found a flash that I want to play, but, if I do, I'll use gnash.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      As explained above, in Linux, the file is called libauthplay.so It is NOT a windoze dll. I have not yet found a flash that I want to play, but, if I do, I'll use gnash.
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...2419#msg232419
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Code:
        ken@owl:~$ locate libauthplay.so
        ken@owl:~$ locate authplay.dll
        ken@owl:~$ locate *.dll
        /usr/lib/codecs/ACDV.dll
        /usr/lib/codecs/ADV601.dll
        /usr/lib/codecs/G2M.dll
        /usr/lib/codecs/GXAMP4.dll
        /usr/lib/codecs/GeoCodec.dll
        Several pages of .dll.

I assume these came from medibuntu. Deleting these probably would not break the system but it's kind of annoying to get the "codec not found" message.

BTW Okular works great.

Ken.
        Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

On the Lucid machine that I'm using to write this message, which does NOT have windoze installed (none of my computers have windoze installed), I find a total of THREE *.dll files. They are all in the
          Code:
          ~/Documents/javadocs/guide/beans/axbridge/developerguide/boundprop|cal <-- note my added "or" bar /
          directories. Two under boundprop, one under cal. This is out of 1472 Kubuntu packages installed on this machine. Frankly, I have no idea why the Java SDK includes three ".dll" files in it's Linux documentation package. I have no idea what they are doing there. If they are, in fact M$ dynamic link libraries. They must be very lonely.

The only things I've got in my /usr/lib/codecs/ directory is three *.so files. I am listening to internet radio as I type this and I have LOTS of *.mp3 files, so I doubt that medibuntu infected you with dll files (but I could be wrong).

Comment

Re: Adobe &amp; BBC : Linux, Windows and Mac open to attack

Originally posted by lcorken
            Several pages of .dll.

I assume these came from medibuntu.
            Yes, they would have. I have *.dll files in /usr/lib/codecs and /usr/lib/win32
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@lcorken & Snowhog: What am I missing? I have non-free codecs from medibuntu (as well as Adobe Acroread fonts) without having a slew of dll's. You'll have to be more specific as to which medibuntu packages feature M$ style dynamic link libraries, (as well as why in the world they would be needed or even useful on a Linux machine?). I'm more inclined to think that the dll's are related to windoze programs and windoze emulators. Since I have been completely windoze free for at least five or six years, you'll have to explain what they do for you, and which medibuntu packages they come from.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
                @lcorken & Snowhog: What am I missing? I have non-free codecs from medibuntu (as well as Adobe Acroread fonts) without having a slew of dll's. You'll have to be more specific as to which medibuntu packages feature M$ style dynamic link libraries, (as well as why in the world they would be needed or even useful on a Linux machine?). I'm more inclined to think that the dll's are related to windoze programs and windoze emulators. Since I have been completely windoze free for at least five or six years, you'll have to explain what they do for you, and which medibuntu packages they come from.
                w32codecs package (win32 binary multimedia codecs) includes a number of .dlls

Package description:
                This package contain video codecs for popular proprietary formats not
                natively supported by mplayer.

ATI VCR-2 video codec.
                Cinepak video codec
                DivX ;-) video codec, ver. 3.11
                DivX ;-) video codec, ver. 4.x
                Indeo Video 3.2/4.1/5.0/4.1 quick/5.0 quick codecs.
                Intel 263 video codec.
                Microsoft MPEG-4 video codec, beta version 3.0.0.2700
                Morgan Multimedia Motion JPEG video codec.
                QuickTime
                RealAudio
                RealVideo 8
                RealVideo 9
                Windows Media Video 9

And more...

Comment

Confession time! :P

OK, I admit it. I went to medibuntu and installed everything there. All the stuff.
                  Did that with this attitude. If you throw enough crap at the wall some of it will stick.

Even with all that "crap" I still got a "Codec not found" message from a radio station. It was OK though, because they had other options that worked. Mostly, stuff works fine.

Thanks.
                  Ken.
                  Opinions are like rear-ends, everybody has one. Here's mine. (|)

Comment

VERY STRANGE: the win64codecs package does NOT contain *.dll files!

Comment

Working...
                    X