Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Symbolic link for .mozilla doesn't work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Symbolic link for .mozilla doesn't work?

I have two different OS's (kubuntu and sidux), and I want to use the same firefox .mozilla directory for both. I have a common data partition with full rwx privileges for both systems, so I tried moving ~/.mozilla to the common partition, and making a symbolic link:
    ln -s /media/data/greenman/.mozilla /home/greenman/.mozilla
    The link works, and I can rwx files from my home directory just fine.
    Problem is, firefox refuses to start. It flashes a window up saying firefox is already in use (it isn't, I checked, no zombies) and then quits.
    I then tried to make a symbolic link within ~ just to see what would happen.
    ln -s /home/greenman/.mozilla-files /home/greenman/.mozilla
    same problem. I also tried using non-dot directories, and I tried creating a new profile on the common partition. Same result each time. I have tried using both the repository version of firefox, and the downloaded version.
    So it look like, for some reason, firefox just plain refuses to use a symbolic link for its profile, or any location other than ~ itself.
    Any ideas what's going on, and how to fix? I don't think it's permissions, as I can do everything through the link with programs other than firefox.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Re: Symbolic link for .mozilla doesn't work?

I do this without issue.

Is it possible that you still have a lock file in place? This might happen if you crashed FF. Look in your default user directory

Please Read Me

Comment

Nope, no lock file. If I remove the symbolic link and rename the linked file to .mozilla, it starts just fine. Something about the link it doesn't like. Shouldn't make any difference as far as I can think.

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Problems like this are what convinced me to stop trying to share a single /home folder -- Firefox is not the only package that gets tangled up when used by 2 different OS's. It may be hard-coded to use only the dot file (maybe won't read the symlink because it's not "looking")

Comment

It may be hard-coded to use only the dot file
          Looks that way, though why remains a mystery.

The idea here was that, since I now have both sidux and kubuntu working the way I want, I wanted to share config files ONLY for firefox and thunderbird, so it wouldn't matter where I did my email or webbing. Guess I will have to rely on rsync instead.

Comment

When I did mine - i created the link, then renamed it with the dot...

Please Read Me

Comment

I gave that a try. All that happens when I do it that way, is firefox crashes without any error messages at all.
              I really don't understand it, as thunderbird follows symbolic links for both its data and program files. Not quite sure HOW this could be happening, unless there is some way of subverting the linux file system I don't know about (probably is).

Comment

That's really odd I think.

here's my link

ls -la
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 stuart users 23 05.05.2010 16:32 .mozilla -> /files/stuart/.mozilla//

works like a charm for me.

The only other thing I can think of I did differently than usual was for the first time ever I use dolphin to create the symlink.

Wish I could think of something else helpful...

I share all my data, .wine, .virtualbox, .thunderbird all this way.

Also - I doubt it matters - I'm sharing all this across K9.10 and K10.04. I haven't tried another distro.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well it beats me. I have tried every way I can think of to create a symbolic link. It doesn't even work if I create the link within the same directory, i.e. ln -s /home/greenman/mozilla-local /home/greenman/.mozilla

Comment

You're trying to create a symbolic link. Is there any difference if you (can) create a hard link instead?
                    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Is there any difference if you (can) create a hard link instead?
                      Yeah, it doesn't work. Evidently hard links are for individual files only, and don't work for directories.
                      Code:
                      greenman@wolfenstein:~$ ln /media/zen/greenman/.mozilla .mozilla
                      ln: `/media/zen/greenman/.mozilla': hard link not allowed for directory
                      Great idea, though.

Comment

I don't get it. I used to do this in days of sharing home between debian and kubuntu. Some time back, mind...

Anyway, a suggestion for a workaround:

Keep the real copy in ~ and put an rsync command in /etc/rc.shutdown to your data partition. That way you can be sure that it works _and_ that you have a synched copy of .mozilla every time you switch os.
                        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
                        X