This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Office Issue

I have my resume in open office. I have several indentations so it looks like a table, but it's not. The reason it looks like a table is because it automatically keeps putting a BORDER around every section of my resume - very frustrating!!! It should be simple to fix, right? But it's not, because I go into format -> paragraph -> borders just like I'm supposed to. I then click "none" under line style, and everything else that would seem to keep it from inserting a paragraph. Then I click "OK". Nothing changes. It's like there should be an "apply" button to apply the changes that I've made but there's not. Just an "OK" button which doesn't do anything. I've tried highlighting to document, and setting no border for both paragraphs and the whole page. I am going crazy on this! Someone please help!

Re: Open Office Issue

OpenOffice has a nice forum that you might want to post on also.

I'm guessing you started this resume with a template or from a Word document You might want to look at your text styles and see if Borders have been enabled in the default text style.

Sometimes I get so fedd up trying to undo all the crap other have done I end up starting a new document and copying and pasting only the text into the new doc and starting over.

Please Read Me

Comment

That's a good idea, and I feel like I have done that before (which I have) but I didn't save it as an ODT or whatever, I saved it as a DOC...so maybe that's what did it. I think I will take your advice and start it over as an ODT. Thanks!

Comment

The age old thing... Writer uses styles, a concept which is absolutely alien to everyone who has used that heap of £$#@ M$ calls Word before. With styles there is no more formatting on the fly (at least when used properly).

I suggest you start anew and set up your styles as you see fit. It will be a very educational and rewarding experience
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

The only time I see that behaviour is when Openoffice has imported a .doc file that is in reality a .rtf file.

No amount of messing about will change that behaviour - the weird formatting will survive saving in .odt format.

The only way to save yourself a lot of faffing about is to

CTRL +A to highlight everything
          CTRL +C To copy (bit obvious that one)
          Open new OOo document
          In the new doc edit/paste special/unformatted text.

You can then apply your styles and reformat your document as you like it.

Comment

top tip
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Working...
            X