Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[ SOLVED ]:What does all this software do????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ SOLVED ]:What does all this software do????

This is as much a comment as a request for help. I am a newbie to kubuntu, although I have spent a bit of time playing with ubuntu, fedora and mint.

I just got kubuntu- notebook ed. from a dvd that came with a magazine and thought I'd give it a go on my acer eee pc.

Initially I was very impressed with the look and feel, unfortunately though, it seems there is a compatibility problem with my wireless set up and so there is no indication that my kubuntu has been able to find my wireless card.

I thought I might be able to rectify this myself, that's when I had my next problem- which bit of software helps It seems that every second piece of software has a name starting with k followed by something seemingly random eg. kate (even with the icon, a pen and paper, it is only with hindsight I can put the logic together).

Can I suggest that, if kubuntu developers wish to continue with current nomenclature, that they also have a descriptor that comes up when hovering over the software with a mouse so that new users know what the various (and possibly useful) software packages do.

ta

ps if anyone can help with the wireless thingy that would be great too

Re: What does all this software do?

It's been a while since I looked at the KDE netbook plasma, but in the desktop plasma descriptions are there by default, e.g. "KATE (Advanced Text Editor)".
    The K naming scheme has nothing to do with Kubuntu but rather with KDE and they seem to have come to the same conclusion like yours.
    In any case, I don't think it makes much difference. Dolphin. Does that make you think of a file manager? It's not only in KDE but in all desktop environments (non Linux ones too). The idea about tooltips is not bad maybe you can make a suggestions at https://bugs.kde.org/ as KDE developers are very attentive to what users have to say.

Finally, I don't have an Acer or eee pc (isn't eee pc made by Asus?), so can't help you much there, although if your wireless worked with Ubuntu it should work with Kubuntu as well since it's the system with different Desktop Environments. I'd suggest trying the to connect the system to a wired connection, if possible, update the system (in konsole: "sudo aptitude update" and then "sudo aptitude full-upgrade") and then see if there are restricted drivers for your card in Kmenu -> System -> Hardware Drivers.

Comment

You don't say whether your wireless card worked in your other linux distros. If it did (esp ubuntu) I see no reason why it shouldn't now, configuration issues aside.

For nowAssuming it didn't......

If you launch a terminal (in KDE it's called konsole) and type lspci that will reveal your hardware and importantly tell us what kind of network card you have. Copy and paste the output into your reply as that will greatly help with any diagnosis

Comment

Originally posted by ktat

there is no indication that my kubuntu has been able to find my wireless card.
        Open a console window and enter
        Code:
        lspci -vv
        there should be a wireless chip on the list of PCI devices. That will answer question "is it found?".

Then go to #8 on the FAQs in my signature and see if you can follow the guidance to fix it yourself. If you don't achieve success, post back and tell how far you got with it and someone will help.

Comment

ok, first - yes it's an asus (oops) and second I'm using ubuntu karmic remix for notebooks now and using wireless access to the internet.

out put from lspci -vv is:

Code:
          01:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2860
          	Subsystem: RaLink Device 2790
          	Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
          	Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
          	Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
          	Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
          	Region 0: Memory at fbef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
          	Capabilities: <access denied>
          	Kernel driver in use: rt2860
          	Kernel modules: rt2860sta
          This command was executed from a terminal within kubuntu.

Comment

ktat, this is the relevant stanza:

01:00.0 Network controller: RaLink RT2860
            Subsystem: RaLink Device 2790
            Control: I/O+ Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B- DisINTx-
            Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR- INTx-
            Latency: 0, Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
            Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 19
            Region 0: Memory at fbef0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=64K]
            Capabilities: <access denied>
            Kernel driver in use: rt2860
            Kernel modules: rt2860sta
            Hm, a ralink should work out of the box afaik. Could you please post the output of
            Code:
            iwconfig
            If you get the message "no wireless extensions" please also add the output of
            Code:
            ifconfig
            Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

ok, here goes - don't know if this makes any difference but I'm also using a bootable usb version of kubuntu rather than installed onto my HDD.

Code:
              ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ iwconfig
              lo    no wireless extensions.

eth0   no wireless extensions.

ra0    RT2860 Wireless ESSID:"" Nickname:"RT2860STA"
                   Mode:Auto Frequency=2.412 GHz Bit Rate=1 Mb/s
                   RTS thr:off  Fragment thr:off
                   Link Quality=10/100 Signal level:0 dBm Noise level:-97 dBm
                   Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
                   Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0  Missed beacon:0

pan0   no wireless extensions.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ ifconfig
              eth0   Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:24:8c:57:f4:76
                   UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                   RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                   TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
                   collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                   RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
                   Interrupt:27

lo    Link encap:Local Loopback
                   inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
                   inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
                   UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
                   RX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                   TX packets:4 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                   collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
                   RX bytes:240 (240.0 B) TX bytes:240 (240.0 B)

ra0    Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:22:43:6d:34:ae
                   inet6 addr: fe80::222:43ff:fe6d:34ae/64 Scope:Link
                   UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
                   RX packets:430 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
                   TX packets:1321 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
                   collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
                   RX bytes:50220 (50.2 KB) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
                   Interrupt:19

Comment

Thanks. Thought so, your wireless extension is there and it is called ra0.

Armed with that information others here will probably be able to help you. I can't as I am not using kubuntu and my kde looks quite different. But try to fire up networkmanager and take it from there.
                Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Reads to me like it's simply a configuration problem of your security settings.

I don't have the netbook interface myself (and I'm on my work (XP box right now) and it's a while since I've done this so these instructions may be a bitoff, but, assuming that "under the bonnet" things will be pretty much the same, you should be in the right ball park.

You will need system settings/networking. Within there you you will see a wireless tab. You should then see all available networks (although IIRC there is a "scan button that you may need to click first).

Click on yours and then select add. It should appear in text form in the pane. Highlight it and select "edit" and put your security settings in then.

It will then ask you for a password for the kwallet password manager. As you are running from USB and settings will most likely be forgotten when you shut down you may as well set up the password as blank. You should now get a connection

Comment

thanks for your help, I have got as far as opening up the networking window – there were no connections under the wireless tab so I clicked add and then scan and sure enough it found my wireless connection. The connection is at a public library and doesn't require a password to be entered until you try to load up a web page. I checked the box labeled connect automatically.

However, there is still no indication of a working wireless connection happening (I'm looking for something up on the top line near the time – like some bars or something!!)

Hang on

I just rebooted, all is good

cheers again.

Comment

silly question - how do I mark this thread as solved?

Comment

check my signature

Comment

Excellent, glad you are up and running

Comment

Working...
                          X