This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your own personal cloud

I've just stumbled across this - haven't tried it yet, but it _could_ be what I've been looking for all my life 8)

Anybody know/tried it?
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: your own personal cloud

Hmmmmmmmmmm.

Yes, that sounds wonderful toad -- why don't you give it a go, and report back how it works.

Comment

Well, I am dying to actually, but although it is packaged for arch it is dreadfully packaged for arch and dumps itself all over the filesystem. However, I am sure that somebody will fix it before long and you can bet your whatever that I'll be downloading and testing it asap
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Hmmm. I don't know about this. It appears that you have to setup port forwarding in order to be able to access files outside your home network. I don't particularly like the idea of exposing any of my machines to the internet for any service, much less a service that hasn't been specifically hardened for exposure. If a bug is found in the part of the service running on your machine, then it would be trivial to exploit it to gain full access to your exposed machine.

Also, from what I can tell, it looks like apps have to be modified to access data in the cloud as well. That's going to seriously hamper it's usefulness.

One other thought: This would imply that your machine has to be turned on at the time and available when ever you want to access these files. Doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of a cloud to begin with?

I think dropbox might still be a better solution.

Comment

Interesting, I don't think I see it very much different. Also, how different is it to ssh?

But as the old saying goes: the proof of the pudding is in the eating, so that is what I'm going to do.

Dropbox is cool, no doubt about it. Synching kontakt pim data with it is a bit of a pain though and I'm looking for another solution.

As for leaving the machine on: I log myself off,turn the monitor off and the thing doesn't use more electricity than a low powered light bulb, so no worries on that front. I currently use it for ssh (not on port 22 and with keys) and hope that one can also specify the port for tonido.

We shall wait and see...

Comment

Toad, In case you didn't know, the tonidoplug is reviewed in the current edition of Linux Format. Does quite well too.

Comment

Didn't know - thanks! Never heard of that publication, will google now...

EDIT:
              Ah, okay, UK magazine and I never heard of it... Coolio. Sadly the article is not yet available on the net

Comment

Working...
              X