• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My zombie process

Originally posted by Snowhog
    Thank you.

"Are you using Wicd?" Yes.

"It's not a problem with dhclient,..." Okay.

"...this is commonly a bug in the parent process." Good to know.

"...it shouldn't affect your machine or eat your resources..." Yes, I'm aware of that.

Okay, so Wicd is (here) the 'zombie generator.' Identifying it/them is easy enough, and I check for them after each reboot. Killing them is also easy.
    Ditto...

Comment

Re: [EXPLAINED] My zombie process

Originally posted by oshunluvr
      You guys - EVERYONE knows to kill a zombie; you have to shoot them in the head...just don't let them bite you!

Sorry, I couldn't resist any longer!

Comment

Re: [EXPLAINED] My zombie process

Originally posted by kubicle
        I'd gladly hear more details if you can recollect them, since I've never had any success sending signals to zombies directly (which by the definition of zombies should be impossible), and I think the system has been pretty much the same since the early versions of unix. I'm by no means saying your recollections must be wrong, I just consider this an opportunity to learn more.

Are you sure your problem processes were zombies (and not orphans or other "misbehaving" processes)?
        You know, now that you've mentioned them, I may have been recalling orphans, not zombies. Unfortunately, my mind (a.k.a. June, my wife) wasn't exposed to Linux so I can't ask her what I meant
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X