X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I want Kubuntu GONE!

Originally posted by Telengard

Is Micro$oft so clever that now they make Windoze CDs fail to boot if you have any non-M$ OS on your HD? This is news to me. In the old days the M$ install program would just erase your non-M$ OS or else overwrite the boot sector to prevent it from starting. Wow, that's progress! (You really don't have a clue how a computer boots, do you?)

LMFAO

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I call shenanigans on this post!

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
        I call shenanigans on this post!
        Erm, which post might that be?
        Welcome newbies!
        Verify the ISO
        Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

According to Merriam-Webster
          shenanigans

Main Entry: she·nan·i·gan
          Pronunciation: \shə-ˈna-ni-gən\
          Function: noun
          Etymology: origin unknown
          Date: 1855

1 : a devious trick used especially for an underhand purpose
          2 a : tricky or questionable practices or conduct —usually used in plural
          b : high-spirited or mischievous activity —usually used in plural
          The phrase "I call shenanigans" was used in a South Park episode awhile back and has fallen into my daily parlance. and I was referring to the first post

Please Read Me

Comment

For the information of others that may be having a similar problem (not booting the install CD no matter what the OS) the clues on what the OP said have dug out the issue. The BIOS was not set correctly for the boot order and was set for HD first. When booting the system with the Kubuntu CD in the drive it was actually booting the installed version, not the live CD. When the drive was formatted this made an unbootable drive (the hard drive) as the first in the sequence which caused the next in the boot order to be selected. To allow to boot from a live CD the BIOS must be set to not only boot from CD, but the boot order must me changed to put the CD drive before any other bootable medium that may be present. This also includes SD and USB drives. I had a few hours of frustration when I had an SD card in the reader slot with nothing but a Pocket PC Rom in bin format on it. Seems my notebook was trying to boot the bin file (must be a "feature" of my HP notebook).

That all being said, try not to bash the OS on a board that is about it. I do realize the frustration that can cause feelings of ill will, but most new user questions are very simply solved with some patience and desire to relearn what MS has told you was the only way. Search the forums (reiterated time and time again). The odds are very slim you are the only one to ever have the problem you are experiencing. A quick search netted 10+ results covering this exact problem.

namopereht

Comment

The problem is indeed with Ubuntu. In fact, the problem is with Grub2 and the way Ubuntu implements Grub2.

The Master Boot Record is overwritten by default and made to point at Grub2 in the (K)Ubuntu partition.

When you erase (K)Ubuntu, Grub2 is also erased, since it is stored in the same partition as (K)Ubuntu. this means the Master Boot Record no longer knows where to look.

Only users who have been smart enough to install a boot partition with Grub Legacy in it are spared this problem.

Vista probably does have a utility on the Windows LiveCD to recover the Master Boot Record so that it once again points to the Windows bootloader in the Vista partition, but since I've not had to do that in many years I can't remember how to access that utility.

This problem is so pervasive (and is probably the number one problem in Ubuntu forums) that Windows 7 now creates its own boot partition to facilitate resetting the Master Boot Record. (I hate to say it, but Windows Vista sucks and has always sucked.)

I am hardly a (K)Ubuntu basher -- I am one of its most vocal proponents. However, the Grub2 issue is one of the biggest mis-steps Ubuntu has ever taken, IMO, and the sensible workaround (i.e. to have an option for a boot partition) has never been made an option for (K)Ubuntu installation. Ridiculous.

My solution for this problem is found at Kubuntuguide:

http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Multiple_OS_Installation

UbuntuGuide/KubuntuGuide

Right now the killer is being surrounded by a web of deduction, forensic science,
              and the latest in technology such as two-way radios and e-mail.

Comment

You resurrected a thread from early 2010 to say what?

Originally posted by Rantheral
                So i tried booting my computer starting with the cd drive with windows vista that i want on my computer and it goes straight to kubuntu's loading screen. I have tried disabling all but my cd drive and still nothing
                I just want to remind everyone of OP's original complaint. He claimed he was unable to boot a Windows CD after installing Kubuntu. He claimed that Kubuntu booted even after disabling all drives but the CD drive. So here's what we were all left to conclude, based strictly on information in the OP.
                • Power on your computer and enter the BIOS setup
                • Remove all drives from the boot sequence except the CD drive
                • Exit the BIOS setup and save settings
                • Insert the Windows CD and reset the computer
                • Watch Kubuntu boot, presumably from the Windows CD

Ehh?
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Look at the read count on this thread! Wow!
                  http://saurav.celestarium.org/

Comment

Originally posted by saurav
                    Hmmmm. The OP is 17 months old, basically inane, and made by a guy last seen 16 months ago, so what conclusion should we draw from the read count?

Comment

Well I've never had any issue with booting Windows Vista & Kubuntu on my old desktop, or Windows 7 & Kubuntu on my current desktop.

The problem here isn't Kubuntu or Linux but something else, which others here have already posted their suggestions.

It's too bad that you think it's somehow Kubuntu's fault, as I really, really doubt that it is.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        Originally posted by saurav
                        Hmmmm. The OP is 17 months old, basically inane, and made by a guy last seen 16 months ago, so what conclusion should we draw from the read count?
                        I think people have been flocking here lured by the title. The same reason crowds gather when something has "happened" at the roadside. Human nature. And an already huge number of people gathered together will attract even more people, just like gravity. I'm not saying it's particularly wrong or something, but it's interesting (to me).
                        http://saurav.celestarium.org/

Comment

...I wonder what happened to Vinny? He seemed to be in with the furniture and fittings...
                          "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
                          "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

He last posted 7 days ago. Must be on a vacation, or taking a vacation ...
                            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I hope Vinny is enjoying some down time there in God's country.

Comment

Working...
                              X