This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Kate -> Open recent document

When will kate grace us with the "open recent document" choice again.
    It has been missing for a while, or am I missing something here
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Re: Kate -> Open recent document

(With the KDE 4.3)

Have you tried ? Kate > Settings > Configure kate > Sessions: Load last used session & Save session

Then, here, the kate remembers the recent documents when starting a new empty session.

[img width=400 height=292]http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/3633/kateremembers.png[/img].

The kate doesn't remember recent documents when clicking a document and opening a session.
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Ah I knew I was missing something :P

Edit:
      Kate in kde4.4 doesn't have:
      Sessions: Save session
      4 GB Ram
      Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

(KDE 4.3 & KDE 4.4)

man kate
        NAME
        kate - Advanced text editor for KDE

SYNOPSIS
        kate [-s, --start name] [-u, --use] [-p, --pid pid] [-e, --encoding name] [-l, --line line] [-c, --column column] [-i, --stdin]
        [KDE Generic Options] [Qt Generic Options]

OPTIONS
        -s, --start name
        Start Kate with a given session.

With a named session the kate can remember the recent documents.

KDE 4.3 (Karmic)

K menu editor - Utilities > Kate

Default Command: kate %U
        Changing to: kate -s Cate %U

KDE 4.4 (Lucid)

Default Command: kate -b %U
        Changing to: kate -b -s Cate %U

Now the kate is starting with the named session "Cate" and is remembering the recent documents.

[img width=400 height=285]http://img692.imageshack.us/img692/6681/cate.png[/img]
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

KDE 4.4 (Lucid)

Works with karmic kde4.4 as well

Thanky
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Re: [Solved] Kate -> Open recent document

Running the 64bit Lucid Lynx here. Got a call from work asking about "local view" Visual FoxPro cursors saved as tables ("lv_*"). I had them send me the prg files for the whole system.

Opened Dolphin, selected all 100+ files and chose Kate to open them. Bad move. Should have thought first about what I was doing. My panel was filled with over 100 kate icons. Opened the System Monitor, selected all of them, and sent them the "Term" signal (sig 11 - Terminate).

Started over. Opened Kate. Opened the "File open" dialog and selected all 100+ files. Kate opened all of them with ease in just one instance of Kate. Several are 3,000+ lines long. Most are under a few hundred lines. Did a global "Find" for "lv_". Saw a couple hundred listings, including line numbers. Clicked on a few to check things out. Sent them back an email listing the names of the pgm files they should check to determine the importance of each lv_ cursor.

I love Kate! 8)
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I agree. Kate has to be one of the best TEXT tools around. I wish I could use it on my M$ machines at work as I hate NotePad and that other one they have (name escapes me at the moment).

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                I agree. Kate has to be one of the best TEXT tools around. I wish I could use it on my M$ machines at work as I hate NotePad and that other one they have (name escapes me at the moment).
                NotePad is intended only as a rudimentary editor with no frills. Its worst limitation IMHO is that it mangles Unix coded text because of the difference in line end characters.

WordPad is a much more featureful text editor on Windoze which does handle Unix coded text correctly. It is more like a mini word processor because it allows embedding of objects and fonts, although it still doesn't approach all the bells and whistles of MS Word (which is a good thing IMHO). In the oldest versions of Windoze, I think it was called WRITE.EXE.

The only reason to care about these Windoze programs is because they are included with every version of Windoze back to 3.x.

I like Emacs, but Kate really is quite good.
                Welcome newbies!
                Verify the ISO
                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise
                  Way back when I used Windows, I used an editor called Textpad (http://www.textpad.com/). It was definitely my favorite. I loved it's regular expression search/replace. I know alot of people that swear by ultraedit as well, but I've never used it. Unfortunately, neither of them is free (as in beer or speech).

Comment

My favorite Windows text editor was PFE (Programmer's File Editor). With it I edited ascii text files that were from ten to hundreds of MEGABYTES. One was slightly over 1 GB! One thing I liked about it was that regardless of the size of the file the text appeared immediately. One did not have to wait, especially for large files, to completely load before one could work with it. It was lightening fast with search and replace.

It is no longer supported but it can be downloaded from here.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Rog131 has told us:

Originally posted by Rog131
                      (KDE 4.3 & KDE 4.4)

With a named session the kate can remember the recent documents.

KDE 4.3 (Karmic)

Default Command: kate %U
                      Changing to: kate -s Cate %U

KDE 4.4 (Lucid)

Now the kate is starting with the named session "Cate" and is remembering the recent documents.
                      I realized that creating an actual session file is not required. Now I may have misread what Rog131 showed in the screen shot, where there was a file called Cate.txt. Initially, I created this file with no content, just so it would exist. Having done so, I noticed a behavior when launching Kate that I didn't like, namely, that it opened all my previously opened files. So today, I tested an assumption, namely, that a session isn't a file at all. I changed Kates Command to:
                      Command: kate -s Default %U
                      (I have no file named Default in my ~/Documents directory)

Now when I launch Kate, it opens with the standard Untitled blank document using the session Default. File > Open Recent is active and shows the last documents I had opened.

You can use what ever name you want for the -s [session] argument. As long as the session name isn't an existing file, Kate won't, when launched, open all previously opened documents.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                      X