Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I would like this, for next kubuntu and kde.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like this, for next kubuntu and kde.

1)kmail, I would like to restore kmail from a backup files such as, evolution. Every time, I installed kubuntu on my pc, I must
    configure kmail to zero. I have three e-mail address! I have also, a lot of contacts.
    2)This is for newest users: ubuntu have a slideshow, during the installation process. I think that it is useless. Mac osx, instead,
    have a beutiful video, at the first run, for help them.
    3)gstreamer: (this is for kde) I think that use gstreamer how the only multimedia framework it a good think. Now, kubuntu use
    xine, but I think that gstreamer is better. So, every applications such as amarok, kaffeine, dragon player or the simple media
    center gadget, can use it. Maybe, in the future, it can help to development of a simple editing video and dvd authoring software
    such as imovie and idvd (sorry, but I do not like kdenlive at this state. and I do not like Qdvdauthor).
    4)kpackagekit, I do not like it! I would like something look like synaptic or Ubuntu software center...
    5)konqueror like firefox, but with webkit....
    Wath do you think?

Re: I would like this, for next kubuntu and kde.

My general response to your post is that you CAN and SHOULD use gtk programs (like Evolution, Gstreamer, and Synaptic) in Kubuntu, if you like them and have enough free disk space to install them. In fact, if you still have Ubuntu installed, they are still there on your K-menu If not:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    and go wild!

If these are the first GTK programs you are installing in a Kubuntu installation without Ubuntu, you will be adding a significant amount of "stuff" to your installation, so you will have to evaluate your free disk space.

With regard to a video for new users, I can only say that the *buntu policy (from the beginning) has always been to ship ONE Installation CD for each version (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, and Lubuntu). There is a great deal of discussion about what should and shouldn't be on that CD. Frankly, I don't think that a movie is going to make the cut if Firefox can't even get on the installation disk, even if a movie would be good idea.

With regard to kpackagekit, I don't like it either, so I don't use it. Instead I install Synaptic as soon as I do a fresh install.

Comment

Originally posted by askrieger
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install synaptic
      and go wild!
      By go wild, you of course mean:
      http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107229.0

Comment

My general response to your post is that you CAN and SHOULD use gtk programs (like Evolution, Gstreamer, and Synaptic) in Kubuntu
        Yes, I know it, but the problem is that I would like to use kmail, for to read my e-mail, becouse evolution, for example, have not an applet indicator for new message, and I do not want to use an external applet becouse I do not like it...
        My post do not want to be a criticism(I hope, that this word is correct :P)for kde software or kde developers, but it only want to give them, an idea for improve their software....

PS: Sorry, still, I do not speak in english very well, but I am improving it....why, instead, you do not start to learn to speak in italian?
        PS2: I am joking!!

Comment

Originally posted by Luigi
          PS: Sorry, still, I do not speak in english very well, but I am improving it....why, instead, you do not start to learn to speak in italian?
          you english is not bad at all. i am a native speaker and do far worse , just look at my posts, i have horrible grammer and can't spell for S**T. (i often forget spell check as well)
          1)kmail, I would like to restore kmail from a backup files such as, evolution. Every time, I installed kubuntu on my pc, I must
          configure kmail to zero. I have three e-mail address! I have also, a lot of contacts.
          kmail is great but if you can't import you settings. that is lame. i have never tried to do so since i don't use kmail anymore since i just use web mail anyway
          2)This is for newest users: ubuntu have a slideshow, during the installation process. I think that it is useless. Mac osx, instead,
          have a beutiful video, at the first run, for help them.
          i don't see a need for an intro video just another thing to annoy users (give it time the kde user guide will be updated, or help and it will get done faster.) i second askrieger in i would rather see FF included then a video.
          3)gstreamer: (this is for kde) I think that use gstreamer how the only multimedia framework it a good think. Now, kubuntu use
          xine, but I think that gstreamer is better. So, every applications such as amarok, kaffeine, dragon player or the simple media center gadget, can use it. Maybe, in the future, it can help to development of a simple editing video and dvd authoring software
          such as imovie and idvd (sorry, but I do not like kdenlive at this state. and I do not like Qdvdauthor).
          if you like it install it other wise for now you have xine.
          i do agree that we as a community we need to work on getting ONE backend working good instead of having a dozen or so imperfect ones (i apply that across the board for all backends).

4)kpackagekit, I do not like it! I would like something look like synaptic or Ubuntu software center...
          kpackagekit is getting better.. but i would rather see shaman as a kubuntu package tool. (for now apt-get and synaptic are what i use).
          5)konqueror like firefox, but with webkit....
          you know i have not used konqueror in quite some time i just install and use firefox. i would rather see what suse is getting in terms of firefox being intergrated into kde better.

there are not all to may devs that i know of who come here... may want to try the suggestion are on www.kde.org or www.ubuntu.com
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X