X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Web Cam (All Done 'n Dusted)

Hello.

I'm toying with the idea of investing in the above and wonder what thoughts anyone might have regarding the best software to drive it? And .... are there any particular issues to address?

System details below.

Many thanks.
    Celeron CPU G1610@2.60GHz x 2
    GeForce 8400 GS/PCle/SSE2
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64 bit Linux - KDE 4.13.0

Re: Web Cam

I think the Logitechs are fairly well supported. You might want to research in advance, if you can learn the model of the video chip. Here's a good place to start:

http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html

Comment

Buy one that is a UVC driven USB camera (OS neutral) and you'll have no problems.

I have two of these devices. The cheaper "200" works well, too.

Install Cheese first, then guvcview. Then Skype and all the rest just work.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Maybe the devices themselves are OS neutral, but the web page you linked to is not. > Fails to load fully in Konqueror. Likely it has code to check on who's browser is being used, meaning, the sight is driven by a M$ server or other M$ controlling software.
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's certainly refreshing to see someone actually ask about compatibility before buying a web cam. My Logitech Quickcam Pro 9000 works great in linux with the uvcvideo driver. I use it with guvcview and with skype.

Comment

Hi.

Thanks for the info - I shall limit my 'research' to the suggestions made and look at the software that you guys are using.

'devices' and dibl's link both work fine.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
              Maybe the devices themselves are OS neutral, but the web page you linked to is not. > Fails to load fully in Konqueror. Likely it has code to check on who's browser is being used, meaning, the sight is driven by a M$ server or other M$ controlling software.
              Interesting. I always use FireFox ("Default user agent") and never have any problems on most web pages. I tried all the browser identifications available in Konqueror and found that only when I identified as "Internet Explorer" 6 or 7 would the page display properly. There is definitely code on that page looking for non-MS browsers. But, their many, if not most, of their USB cameras work fine on Linux. Here are some more that work:

http://www.amazon.com/Linux-Webcam/lm/R1YGN54VAC85PM $30.
              http://www.amazon.com/Cubeternet-Web...5053475&sr=8-1 $15

Or, you can do your own Amazon search for "usb web camera"
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                only when I identified as "Internet Explorer" 6 or 7 would the page display properly.
                This aberrant behavior on the part of web sight designers is one of the more prevalent tactics fostered and encouraged by M$ to deny access to content by non-Microsoft browsers. It's a blatant example of the "If you aren't using M$ software, screw you" attitude held by M$. >
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This one works, for sure -- it's what I have.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    only when I identified as "Internet Explorer" 6 or 7 would the page display properly.
                    This aberrant behavior on the part of web sight designers is one of the more prevalent tactics fostered and encouraged by M$ to deny access to content by non-Microsoft browsers. It's a blatant example of the "If you aren't using M$ software, screw you" attitude held by M$. >
                    Microsoft has even other companies unrelated to them vying for them.I have a financial company that I wanted to be able to download my accounts using their pdf files. I went round and round and finally they said they don't support Linux and that I would have to use Windows. Screw that. I found out that Opera was able to download my files. I was going to go back and tell them if anyone else asks...then I thought better of it. Its best they don't know.
                    Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                      This one works, for sure -- it's what I have.
                      Yup. I sent that one to my brother-in-law to hook up to his computer so my sister and I could see each other. I also helped him replace Windows with Kubuntu!

Comment

Right O I dug around a bit based on the advice/info above and ended up with the 'cheaper 200' as mentioned by GreyGeek. I did look at dibl's Quickcam STX but found that none of what I would call reputable retailers in the UK sold it! (Or if they did the price was ridiculous - in my view.) Finally found the 200 (Logitech Webcam C200) on Amazon for only £12.00 and free shipping!!

Worked out of the box and I've chatted to my lad (via Skype) who is abroad and it works great!

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Things have changed since last January, Snowhog! Attached is a graphic of Konq running that website it couldn't run before. It's using the Linux agent. Either they have changed the website or Konq has changed its engine.

You can change the frown to a happy face!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X