Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is KDE more responsive when Gnome is installed first?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why is KDE more responsive when Gnome is installed first?

When I install Kubuntu, the desktop environment is very slow to respond to requests when compared to other Linux and Windows environments; but when I install Ubuntu (Gnome) first then install KDE into it, KDE operates at a reasonable speed that compares favorably with other desktop Linux and Windows environments.

I've experimented with this on several machines so I know it is neither my imagination nor my computers' hardware that effects the speed discrepancy. I've installed Gnome first then KDE, KDE then Gnome, KDE then Xfce.... and every time KDE is installed first a computer takes between 2 and 5 minutes to boot from pressing the on button to entering the desktop and once the desktop has loaded it takes 30 to 60 seconds for an application (any application i.e Konsole, Kate, Firefox) to load to a usable state. It wasn't like this when I first used Kubuntu (6.04 or 6.10) so what's happened since that's made Kubuntu/KDE so slow when it's installed as the default desktop environment? Is there a way to speed it up once it's installed as the default environment?

Re: Why is KDE more responsive when Gnome is installed first?

look my signature for the config of my laptop..
    with this 1gb ram.. and below 2GHz processor, it takes 45 seconds flat to boot up kubuntu. plus just 5-10 seconds to launch an application..
    in short, with decent specifications it takes less than a minute to start an application.
    asus A52N
    Dual boot: Kubuntu 11.10 64bit, Ubuntu 11.10 64bit
    AMD Athlon II 64 X2 | 4 GB DDR3 RAM | ATI Radeon HD 4200
    windoze free since 2009 12 16 (Vijay din= Victory day)

Comment

Without knowing the specifications of the PC, there is no way to provide a qualified answer. There can be simply to many variables that are affecting you specifically.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I've tried it on 3 different machines and I've seen bug reports that state similar. The three machines I've experimented with are:

1. Desktop PC (desktop 1) with an Asus A8R MVP mobo, AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+ and 2GB RAM (~3/4 years old),
        2. Desktop PC (desktop 2) with a PC Chips M810 LR mobo, Intel Duron running at 1200Ghz, 256Mb RAM (about 8 years old),
        3. Laptop, Acer Aspire 7730 with an unknown mobo, Intel Centrino Processor, 4GB Ram (less than 1 year old),

I've installed both Kubuntu, Mint KDE and Ubuntu (Gnome) on my main desktop (desktop 1).
        I've installed Mint KDE and Ubuntu (Gnome) on the Laptop
        I've installed Mint KDE on desktop 2 (I can't it to reinstall - that's another problem)

I've experimented with the order of installation of KDE and Gnome on the Laptop and desktop 1. Always, when KDE is installed first the desktop environment is slow; when I install Gnome first the desktop environment is fast; and that is regardless of the environment being tested.

I've even experimented with virtual machines to see whether it makes a difference and it doesn't.

The first time I installed 9.10 on my main PC it booted in around 30 seconds but that was a near one-off. There has to be something within Kubuntu that's different to Gnome (and I don't mean KDE ;-) ) that effects a slow response time; something that loads or doesn't load when the computer first boots.

Comment

Originally posted by kapil
          look my signature for the config of my laptop..
          with this 1gb ram.. and below 2GHz processor, it takes 45 seconds flat to boot up kubuntu. plus just 5-10 seconds to launch an application..
          in short, with decent specifications it takes less than a minute to start an application.
          Exactly my point, it should boot more quickly and applications should load more quickly; it does and they do in Gnome and they do when Gnome is installed before KDE. You're fortunate your system is so responsive as it is; with Gnome installed first those boot and load times would be quicker.

Comment

Working...
          X