This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: [SOLVED] Can't Delete odd named file/folder

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I can relate to this. A few days ago I was forced to do a reinstall of karmic on an upgrade basis ie retaining the /home partition. However, I was not at any time able to log in as myself due to certain files within .kde being reported as not being writeable.

Searched on the net for a solution and found someone with precisely the same problem. The answer was to run a command involving rm on /home/ian/.kde. I accidentally put a space before .kde. No prizes for guessing what came next

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator
        Searched on the net for a solution and found someone with precisely the same problem. The answer was to run a command involving rm on /home/ian/.kde. I accidentally put a space before .kde. No prizes for guessing what came next
        yes, rm can be dangerous. A good habit to pick up is to always use -i (interactive) option with rm (especially when using the -r option). Of course, you could have changed the ownerships/permissions rather than removing the files.

Anyway, live and learn

EDIT: Ah I see Telengard already posted that, one of these days I really should start to read the threads before I post.

Comment

Back to my Reply #8, when I accidentally ran rm Desktop myfile, turns out it DID start to take thing off the Desktop before I stopped it with Control+c. Luckily, I had backups.

Ran into this, too, may or may not be relevant, any expert opinions? ->
          Delete files by inode
          How to: Linux / UNIX Delete or Remove Files With Inode Number
          http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/delete...de-number.html
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If the wildcards or regular expression is to hard to figure out, inode may be a good way to go. I'll have to keep that in mind.

Years ago when I was admin on a large Unix system we used the interactive mode a lot. A safer alternative. Users were being to creative in file creation.
            Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
              ...I really should start to read the threads before I post.
              And remove the mystique that you know the answer(s) before the question(s) are asked?
              Windows no longer obstructs my view.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
              X