This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't Delete odd named file/folder

OK. In Dolphin it appears one way. In konsole using dir to list it shows it as "\001\2407@@\001\v". Using ls it appears as "??7@@??". When I try GUI or CLI to delete this "thing" it says it does not exist. What is going on. How can I clear this evidently corrupt file or folder? Where did it come from?

Re: Can't Delete odd named file/folder

From the CLI, and in the directory where this thing exists, is it the only thing that has @@ in the name? Assuming that the answer is yes, then you should be able to delete it with rm *@@*
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Be extremely cautious about using those wildcards with rm!

Welcome newbies!
      Verify the ISO
      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

But of course. That's why I stressed "is it the only thing that has @@ in the name?"

Comment

Too late! Already did it!

It worked but only because it was the only file/folder that had "@@" in the name. One reason I went ahead.

Thanks Snowhog!!!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] Can't Delete odd named file/folder

Next time you try something like this I highly recommend using rm -iv pattern instead. That will cause rm to prompt you before removing any files, and echo back the name of each file removed.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
              rm -iv pattern
              I like that. Nice to know.

Comment

I take it that you tragically used the wild card one time? I can understand that. Advice taken. Thanks!

Comment

With rm, you can't be too careful, even without wild cards, but especially with them. Related, but silly, I was very tired, irritable today when I went to delete a file Desktop/myfile. Don't ask me how, but it started to take a few seconds, I looked up and saw I did
                  rm Desktop myfile
                  omitting the slash and putting in a space instead. Control+C seemd to save me but I did have a kate.desktop file to deal with (under the .local/share/applications, a kde config file), which thankfully didn't seem to harm anything either way.
                  Telengard's -iv tip is worth pasting to the monitor!
                  An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Use Sticky Notes!

Comment

I have had many close calls, and a couple of times I was only saved by the fact that copies of the files existed elsewhere on my LAN. At least once I lost a bunch of unimportant files which I had no other copies of. Using wildcards with rm is just begging for tragedy IMHO. Data recovery on EXT3 volumes is much harder than other file systems.

On a related note, you may be interested in the thread Command line trash bin access:.
                      Welcome newbies!
                      Verify the ISO
                      Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

@MoonRise, Yes, the generic Post-its from Wal-Mart! I keep bundles of them here.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike
                          @MoonRise, Yes, the generic Post-its from Wal-Mart! I keep bundles of them here.
                          No, please. Why do something so drastic as chop down a tree? Do what I do; use KNotes.
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Interesting read there Telengard. Thanks!

Trust me. I've done those kind of hazardous removals. It hurts some times. Because of such past experiences I have my backups galore.

Comment

Originally posted by Telengard
                              Originally posted by Qqmike
                              No, please. Why do something so drastic as chop down a tree? Do what I do; use KNotes.
                              At least he didn't lie about chopping that tree down.

OK, sorry, bad joke. Still funny though. Yes, I agree, use KNotes!

Comment

Working...
                              X