This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't use M$ IE says German government

For those out there mad enough to take their own lives and put it into M$' hands:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8463516.stm
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Re: Don't use M$ IE says German government

That's why I use FireFox. I just wished the software we had at work would work with FireFox, but what we bought is so tightly M$ tied, it isn't funny!!

Comment

I was fairly new (naive) to all this security stuff back in 2005 when I was using XP exclusively. I then started playing with Kubuntu/Linux. In 2006, I began communicating with some devs on some GRUB stuff and that's the very first thing one of them told me: "Don't communicate with me using IE!"
      Now, of course, nothing could be more obvious. Of course, you need IE to get your M$ updates ...
      even though you are not using your M$ OS any longer ... and so on , as you guys all know!
      Interesting article, not surprising.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Not only updates but a lot of other stuff. Removing or not using IE is one thing.
        Removing the supporting API's is another.

If you have ever used the AutoIT script engine then you get to know those API's quite well.

I seen and heard of disastrous outcomes when someone tries to purge anything related to IE.

There's a lot to that IE that Windows depends on. Just like our dependencies. One has to be careful.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog
          Not only updates but a lot of other stuff. Removing or not using IE is one thing.
          Removing the supporting API's is another.

If you have ever used the AutoIT script engine then you get to know those API's quite well.

I seen and heard of disastrous outcomes when someone tries to purge anything related to IE.

There's a lot to that IE that Windows depends on. Just like our dependencies. One has to be careful.
          i was just about to raise that point :P. its even more aparent if you use "explorer" to browse the internet it just "magicly" transforms in to IE. (just tried it in a vm of XP sp3, they must have changed it , now it will launch your browser, some one try on sp2 i used to do it all the time)...hopefully other countries will also put out the same warning and people will learn to not use it...

i was reading about this yesterday and microsoft is trying to say they are fixing it, but we all know as soon as they fix it half-a-dozen other holes will just open right up, did ne one catch the part about all browsers having security flaws..., as far as i know its only IE & SAFARI that have holes (at least known ones), not counting the possibility of a serious flash exploit that is cross-platform, cross-browser issue.
          as a side not i was wondering if anyone has seen further info on how this exploit works.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X