Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading to latest kernel (2.6.15-25) any problems?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading to latest kernel (2.6.15-25) any problems?

at around 4pm UTC/GMT yesterday, Ubuntu made available some security updates (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=197181) regarding the kernel, requiring users to upgrade to the latest kernel version, 2.6.15-25 (the installed version is 2.6.15-23).

I upgraded to this version, both in my main installation of Kubuntu and a freshly installed Ubuntu (just installed hours before the security update). I ran into problems that I couldn't solve.

1. In Kubuntu, the X server would not load. I'm using the nvidia driver installed by nvidia-glx. According to the guides, everytime a new kernel is installed/updated, I need to reinstall the nvidia driver, and this requires the installation of linux-restricted-modules. However, I noticed that in Adept, there is no linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-25, only the older linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-23. Is this incompatible with the newer kernel (2.6.15-25). X always complains that it can't find the NVIDIA module/driver.

2. In the freshly installed Ubuntu, X loads, but the mouse doesn't move. That's the only problem. It's using the "nv" driver. But I can't find any way to make the mouse move. I could just use the older 2.6.15-23-386 kernel, but my system is AMD, so I want to 2.6.15-23-k7 kernel.

I was wondering anyone else experienced any problems in upgrading the kernel. And if anyone has any ideas what I could do to solve this? This has really been buggy me for the past 12 hours.
    Jucato's Data Core

Re: Upgrading to latest kernel (2.6.15-25) any problems?

Yea, when i installed the new kernel the X server wouldn't load. So i logged in through the command line and changed to the nv driver, then started X. The i started adept and installed linux-image-686 and nvidia-glx, then did sudo nvidia-xconfig, and everything worked again.
    I don't have the linux-restricted-modules package installed, it's not needed. I haven't had any mouse problems either.

Comment

Hi,

Try to update again. No problems here.

linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-25-k7 installed
      linux-image-2.6.15-25-k7 installed

Comment

It says in the binary driver howto that in order to install xorg-driver-fglrx I need to install the restricted-modules package.

Since linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15-25-686 is not available yet, does this mean I have to stick with kernel 23 for now to get 3d acceleration?

Comment

I upgraded around 1700 UT and the AMD64-K8 restricted-modules and nvidia drivers had been upgraded to 25. I haven't upgraded my 686-radeon laptop yet.

Comment

Hey, sorry I only got back now. The linux-restricted-modules for 2.6.15-25 have been available, but you have to add/enable the restricted component of dapper-security for it to be found (which is not added by default).

Now my only problem is the mouse not working in both Ubuntu an Kubuntu using the new kernels. It's a generic PS/2 mouse. I filed a bug report, but I'll update it with output from lspci and dmesg. It's my first bug report so I didn't know what to include in the report.
            Jucato's Data Core

Comment

Working...
            X