This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the deal with PulseAudio?

OK, the reason for the subject line is on my desktop PulseAudio caused major issues. I was able to completely remove it and all worked great. The PulseAudio entry in System Settings/Multimedia was even removed. Just straight ALSA (I assume). Now on my laptop, it too had the Pulse Audio listed in System Settings. So I thought I just remove PulseAudio as I did on the Desktop. We'll first there was only one lib file loaded that was associated with PulseAudio and trying to remove it would cause the system to remove half of Kubuntu. Never understood why and left it as is. Well, today I decided I had enough of not having all of my audio working and decided, well, lets install PulseAudio. I did and now it seems all sound on the laptop now work. So hence the subject line. On one machine I could remove PulseAudio without impact on the OS and sound works great. On another, it seems totally reliant on PulseAudio. Is it a laptop thing? Just wanting to know for future reference.

Re: What's the deal with PulseAudio?

On my system, I discovered that if I removed pulseaudio, there is no audio. Seems that alsa has been set up in such a way to work with it. No matter what I did, I could get no audio, and wound up reloading from backup.
    Others have gotten different results, but here, no pulse, no audio.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Mine was working fine until the latest updates, now it doesn't work at any volume setting except full.

Comment

For the benefit of all, would you all please identify the specifics of your PCs this issue occurs on, i.e.:
        Desktop or Laptop
        Version of Kubuntu
        Version of KDE
        Audio Card/Chip set
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X