This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 9.10 A Disaster

I tried unsuccessfully to run the live CD on two machines.

On the first machine: Got to the GUI, video driver obviously missing. Tried to install it; locks the whole machine up at 75%. Next attempt never got into the GUI - black screen, no prompt. Gave it up as pointless.

On the second machine: Four attempts to install; pages of error messages; stops with a final error message. Fifth attempt, get to GUI (eventually). Try out the multimedia - nothing works, Amarok won't play .MP3s on the host machine's drive; the video player plays only the sound of .AVI files and nothing at all of .FLVs.

Is this bag of nails usual? The CD is OK - the checksum computes.

Regards,

Cheemag.
    Regards,<br /><br />Cheemag

Re: Kubuntu 9.10 A Disaster

did you also run the check disk option on the disk ?
    if the checksum is ok and the disk check on the cd checks out then the disk is good...

on your second machine , did you install the medibuntu repo for the codecs ?
    www.medibuntu.org for more info
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

mmm... I've installed KK on about a dozen machines and all run perfectly.

But, there are some PCs on which Linux won't install.

Please post the make and model of the PCs on which you are trying to install Kubuntu 9.10.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
        if the checksum is ok and the disk check on the cd checks out then the disk is good...

No to both. I expected it to work out of the box like PCLinuxOS then if possible to put it on a 16GB flash drive.

Regards,

Cheemag.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek

Please post the make and model of the PCs on which you are trying to install Kubuntu 9.10.
          It would seem that I have at least one of those dozen machines! I haven't tried it on the third (PCLinuxOS) machine.

As I recall, a year or so ago when I tried out Ubuntu, it installed but couldn't even play .MP3s without a couple of megabytes of extra files.

Some distros work out of the box, some don't. I won't be installing this one I'm afraid, either on a computer or on a pen-drive!

Regards,

Cheemag

Comment

Originally posted by Cheemag
            Originally posted by GreyGeek

It would seem that I have at least one of those dozen machines! I haven't tried it on the third (PCLinuxOS) machine.

As I recall, a year or so ago when I tried out Ubuntu, it installed but couldn't even play .MP3s without a couple of megabytes of extra files.

Some distros work out of the box, some don't. I won't be installing this one I'm afraid, either on a computer or on a pen-drive!

Regards,

Cheemag
            You misunderstand. IF you had one of those "dozen machines" then KK would have installed out of the box on it. Ubuntu has never been able to install and run OOTB on this Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H, but it does so on MOST machines. Kubuntu installs OOTB on this Sony but it may not install OOTB on other machines. That holds true for Windows as well.

Your statement would better be stated as "some distros work on of the box, some don't ON MY MACHINE". That a distro doesn't install OOTB on YOUR machine doesn't mean it won't install on any machine. The ability to play mp3 files is an option, not a requirement for a distro. You have to install megabytes of files to show PDF files. In fact, you have to install megabytes of files to get a distro to do LOTS of things that it doesn't do out of the box. So, why is not playing mp3 OOTB significant. One frequently finds that after installing Windows they have to install addtional files to do just about ANYTHING. IF it weren't for FireFox, OpenOffice, GIMP and some other FOSS programs Windows users would be shelling out cash through their noses in order to do useful things with their computer, unless what WORKS does is all they need to do.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Cheemag
              Originally posted by sithlord48

No to both. I expected it to work out of the box like PCLinuxOS then if possible to put it on a 16GB flash drive.

Regards,

Cheemag.
              you should probabley do the disk check on the cd as well as sometimes the burn will go bad.

If I recall right every windows install I'v ever done reqierd extra codecs for mp3 and .avi and I usualey end up with VLC instaled as well.......ever try to extract a rar arcive on XP ......yup you nead winrar.........just as on Kubuntu I had to add rar ......but watever OS you install you will find somthing you nead to add .......even in windows and thare it usualey cost's $$$
              and if you go the ....Ahumm patched route you'r probabley geting a trogen to :P

VINNY

i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
              X