This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Promoting brainstorm #22708 - Digikam by default instead of F-Spot

This is just a quick post to try to gather a bit of interest in http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22708/ - I think that it would be a great idea to replace F-Spot by Digikam in the default Ubuntu install. Reasons include:

* Digikam is very powerful and usable
    * Digikam does not include the controversial Mono dependency which upsets many in the Free Software community
    * It would be an important symbolic statement against Desktop segregation. These days KDE applications work perfectly under Gnome, and it is time to choose applications based on their merits, not on whether they start with G or K. And sharing default applications between Ubuntu and Kubuntu where that is useful means better support for everyone.
    * Now Gimp is out of the default install. Digikam is a good replacement for many of the more commonly-used features of Gimp (i.e. for those who aren't professional artists/imaging people).

Re: Promoting brainstorm #22708 - Digikam by default instead of F-Spot

I think that the choice of default applications has more to do with the amount of free space on the Live CD than whether it starts with G or K.

Comment

yes, it sure is a space issue, as you would need to include all the kde libraries and other bits that digikam needs.

Plus, just as Kubuntu is a KDE based distro, Ubuntu is a Gnome-based one. So the G or K kinda DOES matter a little - just in terms of integration, let alone the two different sets of libraries the Ubuntu devs would have to know, learn, and maintain

Comment

Personally, I love Digikam. It makes me look like a much better photographer than I really am without forcing me to learn all the complexities of the GIMP. Unfortunately, I have to agree with the majority. There is no way that digikam is going to appear on the Ubuntu CD any more than Synaptic (which I also love) is going to appear on the Kubuntu CD. Just add it to your list of the first things to add after a fresh install.

Comment

Working...
        X