This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin in SU

The majority of the time I see myself downloading programs and add-ins with the intent to move these packages from "Downloads" into /opt/<program> . I like to use dolphin, but I can't seem to copy from home to another directory outside my own. I'd like to think I could do all my housekeeping admin work (copy, paste, make directories, move, etc) in the / and non-/home directories with dolphin. I mean I can run shells or install programs from dolphin as it asks me for sudo password. But can I have that authority for a specific user to do admin file moving? I wouldn't want that for a "guest" account, my everyday account would be rather convenient. Yes I can do it from the command line, but I want to do it from the GUI.

Thanks

Re: Dolphin in SU

You can, from the console CLI, launch Dolphin as 'root' with:
    Code:
    kdesu dolphin
    Provide your password, and Dolphin will be launched as 'root.' This is the ONLY safe way to run Dolphin as root - never launch it as sudo dolphin. That is a sure way to trash your /home directory.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That is a step in the right direction

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
        You can, from the console CLI, launch Dolphin as 'root' with:
        Code:
        kdesu dolphin
        We are now using
        Code:
        kdesudo dolphin
        for this purpose, correct?

Also, much nicer to open from Alt-F2... then you don't get all that garbage in your konsole session.

Comment

Originally posted by kjjjjshab
          We are now using
          Code:
          kdesudo dolphin
          for this purpose, correct?
          Yes. Thank you.

Also, much nicer to open from Alt-F2... then you don't get all that garbage in your konsole session.
          That's also true. I just tried Alt+F2 kdesudo dolphin, and while it opened, there appears to be an issue with 'paths' as when I right-clicked on /boot/grub/menu.lst Open With > Kate I get the error:

KDEInit could not launch '/usr/bin/kate'.

Hmm. I am trying this in Jaunty.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X