Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Problems with Knetworkmanager? Possible Solution!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with Knetworkmanager? Possible Solution!

I got tired of fighting it. I tried everything in Kubuntu including ver.9.10 Beta and I could not get my wireless to work. So I switched to Linux Mint and was almost ready to settle for Gnome desktop because even they only offer KDE in x386 and it not only slowed down my computer I could not get wireless to work there. What I ended up doing is installed LinuxMint/7 (Gloria) x86_64 then added KDE desktop on it from synaptic. Added the Gnome applet nm-applet to my startup and I have wireless. You could probably do the same thing with Ubuntu, just keep the Gnome desktop as an alternative. this would also give you something to fall back on when KDE fails to load. I don't think all this shouting match over who is to blame, KDE or Kubuntu is solving the problems. Find alternatives that work for your computer. See my new signature for a clue.
    Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Re: Problems with Knetworkmanager? Possible Solution!

KNetworkManager is problematic......
    Did you try installing wicd.....Most of the wireless problems are fixed by wicd
    remove the knetworkmanager and install wicd......

Comment

Been there, done that. wicd does not recognize my wireless network which is a Cisco Linksys G. Like I said, tried everything. This worked. May wait until the smoke clears around the Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic distro and try that route with the same kind of thing. I hate to fix something that ain't broke. At one time I had Kubuntu 9.04 stable then some update threw my wireless out the window. I've tried reinstalling that and got the same results.
      Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Well, wireless in Kubuntu is not so easy. I was using cable and (someone else's) insecure wireless with no problems in 8.04 and 8.10 but when I got my own connection and router I set it to WPA2. Ubuntu 8.10 was easy to configure and work properly and at one point I removed knetworkmanager and installed gnome network manager and it worked in Kubuntu. I've used wicd and it sort of works some of the time, in 9.04 but in 9.10 plasma-widget-network-manager is better than wicd. I'm hoping that improvement will continue before the release and into the first week or so, until the problems are completely resolved. Persevere.

Sometimes on my Kubuntu Jaunty and Karmic, the nm switches off the wireless on running KDM and starting the desktop and it takes one or more reboots to get it going again, sometimes several.

Wireless seems to work better in Sidux and also in Debian - both using KDE.
        HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Just to be a bit provocative, I have a broadband mobile on my little travelmate which never worked with knetworkmanager.
          Neither with kubuntu 9.04, nor with all alphas/betas/rc of KK

wicd worked fine for wireless hotspots but no broadband mobile.

Installing nm-gnome and the regional providers solved that for my lappy.

Yes, patience is a virtue, but knetwork managment and wireless should be functional, if nm-gnome, wicd, etc, work on the same hardware.
          HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
          4 GB Ram
          Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Just finished upgrading my KDE to 4.3.2 Works great and on the KDE forum someone wrote they have the same setup, I'm not alone.

Comment

Working...
            X