X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UK Broadcaster Blocking Linux?

Hi All

Wonder if anyone can advise me on what is going on here. A couple of members of my family enjoy a TV programme called Most Haunted Live and it's being aired all this week between 9pm and midnight UK time. As part of the show they have live webcam streams that can be viewed on computer.

http://www.mosthauntedlive.net/all.php

For some time there were no problems viewing these webcams in Linux. However, about 18 months ago this all. The mplayer plugin gets the playlist and starts buffering and then simply displays the message "stopped". In an attempt to get information about this I launched firefox from a terminal and upon entering the site get a repeat terminal message that there is "trouble ahead".

On looking at the mplayer messages I note that the webcams seem to be diverted to an address containing interroute.com who, surprise surprise is a Microsoft Gold certified partner so I'm smelling a very large rat. The Broadcaster in question, Living TV, is part of the Virgin media group. Virgin's boss , Richard Branson, has of course made something of a name for himself in fighting against monopolists in a number of fields so I am somewhat surprised to see this happening.

This is now the only real reason I now have for retaining windows on my computer at all - if a vendors website won't play nicely with me I will buy elsewhere but I don't have that option here. I would be very grateful if someone more knowledgeable than me could take a look at that link and advise me on whether I am actually being blocked or they are simply using a technology I don't possess - or indeed whether it works for them.

Much obliged.

Re: UK Broadcaster Blocking Linux?

On my Firefox 3.5, which is loaded with the media plugins, including the mplayer, the four preview streams start by showing the mplayer logo and then switch quickly to "stopped".

I'll play around a little, but ....

I played with the mplayer "configure" settings that are available from a right-click on any of the 4 camera streams, but I cannot get any of them to give me more than a momentary glimpse of the stream name -- it looks like they attempt to start a cache and then die. I enlarged the cache size but it makes no difference.

So, I opened my Win XP VM, and made sure I have Windows Media Player 11 with Microsoft Windows Media Player Extensions installed, and guess what? It won't play on that either, on IE 8. So, I dunno what it would take to play those streams. :P

Comment

Re: UK Broadcaster Blocking Linux?

Thanks Dibl

FWIW it works on my Win XP VM with FF3.5 and Windows Media Player Plugin. Interesting that you can't get it to work with IE8.

Comment

Working...
      X