Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would kids/teens know how to use Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would kids/teens know how to use Kubuntu?

Hello,

I wanted to know if, from your point of view, kids would be able to use Kubuntu. By kids I mean in the 11+ range. Would they able to pick it up and start using it?

I don't have kids on my own so I can't tell. Obviously this will differ between the child but if you happen to have kids, or have kids over your house one day, would you mind showing them Kubuntu and posting the results here? Thank You for your support.

-Will Qawasmi, CEO of Xen Computers

Re: Would kids/teens know how to use Kubuntu?

Use it? If you mean, use an existing installed system, sure, why not. If you mean, install it, I'd generally say no. One would want to establish the user account so that access to system apps that allow for maintenance/modification could not be executed.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Here's a guy setting up linux boxes for kids at a school:

http://mrchilly.net/

I gave my Asus Eee PC 701/4G, with Xfce on sidux, to my wife and daughter (set them up user accounts first, of course). They don't know Linux from spinach, but they happily browse and e-mail from it, using wicd in auto-hookup mode (kinda like magic wireless). They just turn it on, use it, and shut it down.

Comment

my nephues jump on my kubuntu box every time thay come over.........thay get on the web and play thare myspace games and whatever thay usualey do..............and love the frozen-bubble game I have on hear.................infact thare frozen-bubble addicks now

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

My son got a computer from his uncle a few months back. I installed kubuntu 9.04 on it. He has no problems using it for internet or Amarok to listen to my FireFly media server. He has discovered plasmoids and has almost all of them on his desktop (there's like four different clocks there).

It works well for him. I have ssh installed on all the kubuntu boxes in my house. This allows me to update them as needed, or shut them down remotely as needed... like bedtime.

I recommend having Firefox and Amarok added to the 'Favorites' on k-menu by default. Most of the websites my kids visit need flash working as well.

Mike
          http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

My Daughter has been using Kubuntu since a very young age. She also know M$ Windows. She can go back and forth and know what she is doing. She prefers Kubuntu, the only reason for her needing M$ Windows is for Roblox which unfortunately doesn't support Linux and I haven't been able to get it to run in WINE. So, yes, children can use Kubuntu. They can tell that there is no difference between different OSs, just look and location of essential apps.

Comment

I wanted to know if, from your point of view, kids would be able to use Kubuntu. By kids I mean in the 11+ range. Would they able to pick it up and start using it?
              There's a good chance they wouldn't notice much, if any, difference between Kubuntu and whatever else they use. Typically they have Macs at school and an older Ms-Win system at home - Kubuntu is mouse driven and uses the same basic user interface logic. It is important to note that kids are generally exposed to a greater variety of computers than their parents and aren't as "stuck" on the interface.

A couple of years ago I gave a Linux system to a neighbour for the kids to play games on. They never even discovered that it wasn't "Windows".

The operating system is not something which matters to many people. Unless you are the one who is installing it, or you are concerned by such things as file systems and security, then it is only the user interface which matters. Linux gives many choices for a UI, but most of them, and particularly Kubuntu, is much like the various versions of MS-Windows or Mac. That is just what is happening in the whole world these days. Most people don't even realize what is going on under the hood. In my opinion, if a kid cares about that then she's a particularly bright one should probably be using something like Linux because it is open source.

Comment

Thank You all very much. I got a lot of helpful information from this thread.

Thanks Again,

Comment

My niece (12) and nephew (10) jump on my machine when they visit... never a problem. In fact, I know they don't use firefox at home, but they instantly knew that was the "internet". They also just found their way to the games without a problem, even without the all-important "Start" button telling then where to start.

Comment

Originally posted by wqawasmi
                    Hello,

I don't have kids on my own so I can't tell. Obviously this will differ between the child but if you happen to have kids, or have kids over your house one day, would you mind showing them Kubuntu and posting the results here? Thank You for your support.

My 10 year old grandson has no problem running Karmic. Neither does my 4 year old grandson, although I have to do the google search for him When he sees a YouTube video on tornados, lightening or rocket launches he points and clicks just like his grandpa.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X