This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Permission Issues

Hi All I am having some problems with permission on my HDD's. I have 6 to 7 HDD in my system. Whenever I start or restart my computer I have to open up dolphin and click on the HDD and then it will ask me to enter my password. Then I can access the files on them. I have a 500GB drive that I need to me administrator in order to make changes to the files. Is there a way or command for me to give read, write, and executable permission? Can someone help me out please. Thanks in advance

Re: Permission Issues

Two things: 1) what version of Kubuntu are you running, and 2) copy/paste your fstab file for a review.
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

If you have the Kubuntu 9.04 / KDE 4.2 (or later) > FAQ: Root Password and scroll to the
      >> PolicyKit - Give Yourself Permission to Make Things

There is (among other things): mount/unmount rights.

Turning: "Active Console: Yes"
      from the "Mount file systems from internal drives"

Implicit authorizations are authorizations automatically given to users based on certain criteria such as if they are on the local console.
      => You could mount/unmount partitions (that are not in the fstab) from the (local) Dolphin without password query.

The read/write/execute permissions are depending of the access permissions /1/. In the most cases you can read/write/execute.

/1/ Introduction to Linux: Chapter 3. About files and the file system

With the Dolphin: Right click the file/directory > Properties > Permissions
      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

HI guys thanks for the help. I manage to get it working. I forgot to have a -R so the folders in the HDD were not being done. HOw do I get my fstab I am still a newbie. Just using my friends account to post. He's away now so I cannot ask him. Thanks

Comment

FAQ #15 in my signature has a link to the /etc/fstab guidance at Ubuntu.

Usually, instead of giving unlimited permissions on the hard drive itself (the device) what you want to do is give users permissions on folders that you make on the drive. Normally those would be folders where you can save data that everyone wants, or individual users can have individual (private) folders on a hard drive, with only their own data in it.

If you sudo chmod 777 the hard drive itself (the device) then everyone in the world who can get to it can delete anything they want. Kinda chancy ....

Comment

( hit "quote" instead of "modify" .... :P )

So I always let root be the owner of the hard drive, and then set the folder permissions as I want for each folder (directory) on it.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys. I haven't set up a server to let friends and family access it yet. Right now it is all internal. Like I said I am a noob to all this. But any recommendation on how to set up a Ubuntu server since thats what I am planning to do. Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X