This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Kubuntu Future - Project Timelord

What Rog131 is saying is that pardus use their own, unique packaging system, so on the surface their tool may not be able to be made to work with debian packages. Though it was discussed at some point to take a look at the code. I don't know what became of that, however

Comment

"...KPackageKit doesn't really look like it'll be "ready" any time soon."

I totally agree with this. It was a bummer that they dropped Adept for KPackageKit. If they had made a few changes to Adept, then Adept had fit in the System Settings as well. On the KDE-side, there has never been a more reliable package manager for me than Adept. R.I.P. Adept...

I hope there will be a new reliable package manager anytime in Kubuntu...
      Most important laptop specs (this is my main computer, with Kubuntu on it):<br /><br />4096MB RAM (DDR2)<br />500GB Hard Disk<br />ATI Mobility Radeon 4570HD Videocard with 512MB GDDR3 RAM, up to 2280MB VRAM<br />Intel® Core™ 2 Duo-processor T6600<br /><br />OS: Kubuntu 10.10

Comment

Unfortunately, development of Adept has been dropped by its creator and no one has picked it up, so unless there is a new kde/qt package manager gets developed, this is it.

Its funny how Adept gets more kudos these days, it sure was thoroughly reviled in it's KDE4 (Intrepid) version

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
          Unfortunately, development of Adept has been dropped by its creator and no one has picked it up, so unless there is a new kde/qt package manager gets developed, this is it.

Its funny how Adept gets more kudos these days, it sure was thoroughly reviled in it's KDE4 (Intrepid) version
          A developer writes GPL (free) software which is very good, but rather than help with good bug reports users repeatedly whine and complain in forums and blogs.

It raises at least two questions:
          1) Why do whiners think that whines & rants are better bug reports than actually filing a bug report that contains information the developer can use?

2) Why are they surprised when the developer throws up his hands and quits in disgust? Wouldn't they do the same?

Considering the behaviour of some of the persistent whiners and ranters, whose writings I've read, I suspect that getting the developer to quit was their goal all along, because they aren't really Linux users at all.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
            Originally posted by claydoh

A developer writes GPL (free) software which is very good, but rather than help with good bug reports users repeatedly whine and complain in forums and blogs.

It raises at least two questions:
            1) Why do whiners think that whines & rants are better bug reports than actually filing a bug report that contains information the developer can use?

2) Why are they surprised when the developer throws up his hands and quits in disgust? Wouldn't they do the same?

Considering the behaviour of some of the persistent whiners and ranters, whose writings I've read, I suspect that getting the developer to quit was their goal all along, because they aren't really Linux users at all.

Huh?
            http://web.mornfall.net/adept.html
            I think I remember conversations on this subject, I don't recall anything as drastic as this being any factor in the decision to quit developing Adept, especially as the guy hasn't used KDE in quite some time.

The original Adept started out pretty a bit iffy in the beginning, then was solid by the time Hardy came around. I think KPG should shape up the same for the next LTS.

Comment

True, Adept was discontinued because Karmic 9.04 moved to KPackageKit, but the post to which I replied commented on the complaints users made about Adept and suggested it was because of those complaints that the Adept developer quit. I did not say complaints drove Adept out but, like most Linux applications these days, it had its share of rants and whines against it because a LOT of new Linux users are fresh immigrants from Windows, where ranting and whining were the only avenues open to most of them. I used that post to illustrate what happens when folks use ranting and whining instead of filing factual bug reports at the appropriate bugzilla.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
              X