X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you logout of a site using FTP in Konqueror

Hi,
    I use reseller hosting for my web bizniz.
    So when accessing via FTP, all my sites have the same domain name but use different passwords.
    When I want to switch from one site to another I can't do it as Konqueror (which I must say is a fantastic prog!) just reopens the first one I was logged-in to.
    How do I FTP logout of a site?

Thanks.

Conflict is sleep. Peace is awakening.

Re: How do you logout of a site using FTP in Konqueror

Does the ftp site provide a Logout button? Just a thought while I am searching.

Mike
    http://monte48lowes.blogspot.com

Comment

Haven't come across this problem, but have you tried this:

1. type remote:/ in the address bar in konqueror/dolphin
      2. Use 'Add Network Folder' wizard to add "links" to all your ftp-sites, use a distinctive name for each of the connections.
      3. When you "save and connect" you should be able to set a separate password (to remember) for each connection.
      4. Try connecting to your different "sites" using the created links.

Not sure if it'll work (as I haven't had this problem), but probably worth a go.

Comment

I've often wondered about this too. Konq is great at FTP file management, yet it doesn't seem to give you access to the FTP protocol. When I've used it, I just leave the connection and AFAIK that causes the server to automatically drop that login. However, in your case that's not possible. I just experimented on my home lan and it seems the only way is to close and open Konq. That closes the connection and allows me to log into a different account. That's a bit clumsy though!

Konq is great, but perhaps in your case it is worth using a dedicated FTP program or the Firefox plugin called FireFTP. Personally, I like to avoid all these GUI idiosyncrasies - lftp is pretty slick.

Comment

Originally posted by Ole Juul
          Konq is great, but perhaps in your case it is worth using a dedicated FTP program or the Firefox plugin called FireFTP. Personally, I like to avoid all these GUI idiosyncrasies - lftp is pretty slick.
          If you do go the route of picking out a dedicated FTP program, I would certainly recommend FireFTP. That's what I use.

When I went into Konqueror to check and see if I could find a solution, I couldn't get a secure FTP connection (I tried sftp:// and fish:// but both gave me no luck). I have stopped connecting over FTP without a secure connection, and since I figured out how to make FireFTP do the sftp connection, I've been very very happy with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Death Kitten
            I tried sftp:// and fish:// but both gave me no luck
            Which version are you using, fish was broken a while back (although it may be fixed now), but sftp should work as expected.

Of course there's nothing wrong with using a dedicated client, either

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
              Originally posted by Death Kitten
              I tried sftp:// and fish:// but both gave me no luck
              Which version are you using, fish was broken a while back (although it may be fixed now), but sftp should work as expected.

Of course there's nothing wrong with using a dedicated client, either
              The About dialog in Konqueror says this:
              Konqueror
              Version 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
              Using KDE 4.3.2 (KDE 4.3.2)
              FireFTP has been working beautifully for me for a while now. I like it because even when I get stuck on someone else's windows machine, I can usually convince them to install it, and I know it'll work just the same from their computer as it does mine. Granted, since I got my laptop, this has become less of an issue, but it's still a nice thing to know.

Comment

Hey all you guys!

Thanks so much for your replies .. and my apologies for not looking back here earlier.
                You know how it is!

-------------
                Originally posted by monte48lowes
                Does the ftp site provide a Logout button? Just a thought while I am searching.

Mike
                Nope.
                Thanks neeway.
                -------------

Originally posted by kubicle
                Haven't come across this problem, but have you tried this:

1. type remote:/ in the address bar in konqueror/dolphin
                2. Use 'Add Network Folder' wizard to add "links" to all your ftp-sites, use a distinctive name for each of the connections.
                3. When you "save and connect" you should be able to set a separate password (to remember) for each connection.
                4. Try connecting to your different "sites" using the created links.

Not sure if it'll work (as I haven't had this problem), but probably worth a go.
                Yaaay! Victory is ours!
                This works.
                Fantastic - many thanks to you.

Footnote;
                Bizarrely .. when I was setting this up, the first time I logged into the site after using the wizard Dolphin opened up the site?!?! I didn't even know Dolphin was capable of this, or why it should open up when I was using Konqueror .. but there ya go!
                Live and learn.

--------------

Thanks to all you other guys too!

Comment

BTW .. all suggestions for stand-alone client were good .. but I just love the way Konq works with my local files also - split screen works so well.
                  Also I have kdesvn plugged-in so I can do a great deal all in the one window!

Konqueror truly rocks!

Comment

Originally posted by avocado
                    Yaaay! Victory is ours!
                    This works.
                    Fantastic - many thanks to you.
                    Glad it worked

Bizarrely .. when I was setting this up, the first time I logged into the site after using the wizard Dolphin opened up the site?!?! I didn't even know Dolphin was capable of this
                    Dolphin can do the things konqueror does (aside from webbrowsing), konqueror in KDE4 actually uses dolphin's kpart for all the filemanagement duties.

Comment

Working...
                    X