This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does gramofile work anymore?

I have tried gramofile under a number of different installations of the most recent Ubuntus - 6.10 and on. I have set up different computers and used various sound cards specifically for the purpose of running this program. Every single time the result is the same:
    Code:
    /dev/dsp: Invalid argument
    I have done a thorough net search and found that many other people have the same problem and there are no answers. In fact I cannot confirm that anybody has ever been able to run the program. I cannot determine when this program last worked but from what I can find on the net, it seems like it might be a long time ago. I can now only assume that the program simply does not work any more.

Is it possible that gramofile is in the repositories simply as a place keeper because it is a great program with no alternatives? Would they actually put a program in the repos if it didn't work?

Re: Does gramofile work anymore?

> Bug 200181: after upgrade to 7.10 gramofile bring the followin failure /dev/dsp: invalid argument

It's status is "Confirmed" but sadly not "fixed" or even "triaged".

Is it possible that gramofile is in the repositories simply as a place keeper because it is a great program with no alternatives? Would they actually put a program in the repos if it didn't work?
    The truth is (> Apport) :
    During the development release we already collect thousands of crash reports, much more than we can ever fix.
    So the repositories can have non usable packages.

> Bugs/HowToTriage
    In a hospital, triage happens the instant a patient arrives through the emergency room doors. His vital signs are checked, his status assessed, and he gets sorted in amongst all the other patients waiting for treatment.

Bug triage is a lot like that as we assess bugs to determine whether or not they have enough to be worked on and assign a priority to them as soon as possible. Without any risk of death.
    => First are fixed the security bugs...
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks Rog131! Your response at least, makes me feel like I'm not completely crazy.

I'm not sure how long it's been since gramofile worked. Perhaps 4 years or so. I'm wondering if I should get a really old version of Ubuntu or even Debian for running it. I thought I'd tried it on Ubuntu6.* but perhaps my memory fails me since most of the postings on the net say "broken when I installed 7.*". I might be able to dig up an old OS and I guess that's the only way. I haven't seen any programs out there to replace it.

Comment

The first bug report (Launchpad) was made against the 7.10. It could work with the 6.06/6.10/7.04 ?.

The applications need constant caretaking as the platform (Ubuntu) is contantly changing. Looking > Gramofile Official Home Page and > Gramofile - Freshmeat. They are telling:
        Current version: 1.6(P) - Page last updated: 2001/05/23
        &
        Recent releases: 1.6 30 Jan 2001
        Abandoned ??
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
          The first bug report (Launchpad) was made against the 7.10. It could work with the 6.06/6.10/7.04 ?.
          Digging through the first pile of old isos I found a Kubuntu 6.06.1. Winter is coming up fast around here so there's "real" work to do, but I should have time to stick that on some older box. I'll report the results back here when I get to it.
          The applications need constant caretaking as the platform (Ubuntu) is contantly changing.
          I hope someday we can get a stable version. Sigh. Stability is one of the reasons I still run the same version of DOS 15 years later. There are new versions but it isn't necessary to use them.
          Looking > Gramofile Official Home Page and > Gramofile - Freshmeat. They are telling:
          Current version: 1.6(P) - Page last updated: 2001/05/23
          &
          Recent releases: 1.6 30 Jan 2001
          Abandoned ??
          I think that I read somewhere that the original writer moved on. I can't blame him, but I'm surprised that no one has taken over. It seems like a relatively simple task since it is a small program. I'm wondering if it couldn't be altered to be universal. I don't think that many of the GNU utilities are unstable and the original version keeps (or can keep) on going, so stability doesn't appear to be a dream.

Comment

Hi

I don't know gramofile but given the apparent principal use for it (gramophone record to PC/CD) have you looked at Audacity?

I haven't used it for that purpose but I am aware that suppliers of USB record players usually include audacity with the hardware.

However, I may be completely off target in which case humble apologies

Comment

I did a record digitizing project a couple of years ago, to capture my father's collection of 78 RPM records. Later (while the equipment was still set up) I captured quite of few of my old 33.3 RPM records as well. I used Audacity and Gnome Wave Cleaner (GWC), on a Ubuntu Linux running the "RT" kernel that was current at that time. I wrote out my setup and "how to", for my own future reference. I'll be happy to share it if anyone wants to PM me about it.

Comment

Working...
              X