This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google drops linux support for Picasa 3.5

"Although Google released Picasa 3.0 for Linux, a company spokesperson said that version 3.5 is only being released for Mac and Windows due to low adoption of Picasa 3.0 among Linux users. "

http://www.informationweek.com/news/...leID=220100440

Although it can be either installed under a normal wine setup, or hacked a little to exist inside the Google wine "bottle", this still stinks!

I've been a big fan of Picasa for many reasons (a big one being I could easily use it cross-platform)... I really hope this is just a blip and they haven't dropped it completely... time will tell.

Re: Google drops linux support for Picasa 3.5

I tried Picasa.

I like DigiKam better.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I tried Picasa.

I like DigiKam better.
      ditto

Comment

I'll ditto that ditto
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Now that (I believe) there is a Picasa uploader (to the Google online storage) I might give DigiKam another try... but the other feature I "can't live without" in Picasa is that I can just highlight some pictures, hit a button, enter a username and password, and they are automatically uploaded into my Shutterfly account for printing at a local store... does digiKam do that Having to use their uploader by itself would be a real pain... since you just have a normal browse to file view, without being able to properly look at the picture.

I can't believe anyone would (WHEN JUST CONSIDERING THE FEATURES) would choose digiKam over Picasa. Obviously anyone here would prefer the open source solution... but proprietary nature aside, Picasa is a great app.

Edit: Never corner a fanboy... they have been known to attack!

Edit2: Just used another favorite feature... the ability to select a few pictures, and then have them automatically resized and attached to an email for sending... does digiKam do that?

Perhaps digiKam is great for more advanced users, but a point-and-click guy like me that just wants to auto-fix red eye, print images at the local drug store, have backups saved, and email some pics to friends and family, Picasa is excellent.

Comment

Working...
          X