X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A better mobile broadband?

Originally posted by toad
    I envy both of you having a 2k connection at home! That mobile is blinding fast while 6k is simply unimaginable
    So you won't want to know I get 10 mbps at home then?

Comment

I'll pop round to yours then when ArchLinux tells me I've got a 1GB download coming up (happens not unfrequently...) It'll only take a couple of minutes instead of a couple of hours at the mo. I'll owe you a pint or two and all
      Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

BTW, is the SIM card locked after the one month period has expired or is it possible to use the device abroad, i.e. with different SIM cards as well?
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Bah, I've just been told by their customer support that their Mifis are locked to 3Store SIM cards for life :P

That makes it a total "don't touch the bugger with a barge pole" for me

Comment

If the iPhone has been unlocked, you can bet these, if not already unlocked, will be shortly. Have a search on the web...

Comment

Excellent point, olembe. Found this thread http://www.dc-unlocker.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4223 and no joy yet... After all, this thing is not as attractive or high profile to hack as the iphone. And because it is a router and not a modem we are talking a different ball game altogether. Having said that I was able to hack my router but it was based on linux I'll do some more research.

Also, please let me know if you find anything in the meantime.

Ta ta for now.

Comment

Hi olemba i have just joined the community & fell straight on your post, i have been looking for an answer to a problem i have with usb mobile dongle. I have just installed kubuntu 9.04 & cant get it to reckonise device

Comment

Hi spikey,

that is exactly why olembe mentioned this Mifi thingy from 3 which acts purely as a router. Your dongle has to be set up as a modem using kppp!

Comment

ok I saw that but when i was using ubuntu the network manager found it & loaded it straight away surely the main part of the os is the same?

Comment

Yes, but Ubuntu's network manager is different from Kubuntu's, and sadly the network manager is one of the worst bits of Kubuntu - many people use a program called wicd instead, as it's so problematic.

If you want to use mobile broadband with Kubuntu you need to get your hands dirty with scripts. That's why I was so excited to find this different way of doing it.

Comment

Working...
                      X