X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android update (HTC Hero)

Hello
    First of all I didn't know where to post this as it isn't Kubuntu specific perhaps and I couldn't find anything on KFN nor Ubuntu forum, and Android/HTC specific forums, but there are not many there running *NIX

I bought a HTC Hero 3-4 weeks ago, and I must say I really like this little gadget. Main reason was that I thought I wouldn't be in need of Windoze when it comes to synchronisation and update.. silly me >

Is it just me or .. is it silly that you need M$ to update Linux?
    2. Software Requirements - Supported Operating Systems (PC)
    Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    Windows XP Professional Edition Service Pack 2
    Windows XP Media Center Edition Service Pack 2
    Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate Edition
    Microsoft Windows Vista Enterprise Edition
    Microsoft Windows Vista Business Edition
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Edition
    Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition
    I really don't want to root it if I could avoid it, so I've been trying to update it on my Win XP partition where I couldn't get HTC sync to connect to the phone. Then I tried VMware+ Vista, where I got sync to work but the update stopped as the phone rebooted and USB connection was lost, and now last I've tried Virtualbox+ Vista and I can't seem to get Sync to connect to the phone.

So question is (guess it's more of a windoze/HTC question) have anyone who have a Android phone got this thing installed? I'm running out of ideas here

/Jonas

EDIT; looking at the hardware requirements again it say USB 2.0, could this have anything to do with it? is Virtualbox running 1.0 by default? seems like a long shot but maybe that could be it How would I see which one is 2.0 and 1? this is my lsusb

Bus 002 Device 003: ID 046d:c312 Logitech, Inc.
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 046d:c043 Logitech, Inc. MX320 Laser Mouse
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 013: ID 0bb4:0c02 High Tech Computer Corp.
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 1058:0404 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)
    Kubuntu 12.04 KDE 4.9.x (x86_64) - Debian "Squeeze" KDE 4.(5x) (x86_64)
    Acer TimelineX 4820 TG | intel i3 | 4 GB ram| ATI Radeon HD 5600
    Kubuntu 12.10 KDE 4.10 (x86_64) - OpenSUSE 12.3 KDE 4.10 (x86_64)
    - Officially free from windoze since 11 dec 2009
    >>>>>>>>>>>> Support KFN <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Re: Android update (HTC Hero)

yes, virtual box does 1.0 by default (I think)...

I have a G1, and I know the hero is a little different, but what are you trying to sync? All the stuff on my G1 syncs over the air with google...all info is available anywhere I need it in the 'cloud'.

mm0
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
      yes, virtual box does 1.0 by default (I think)...

I have a G1, and I know the hero is a little different, but what are you trying to sync? All the stuff on my G1 syncs over the air with google...all info is available anywhere I need it in the 'cloud'.

mm0
      oh that little info slipped away
      I'm trying to update the ROM and as far as I know I need to do it with USB, so this could be the problem/solution then, just need to google on how to USB2 the VB then
      ASUS M4A87TD | AMD Ph II x6 | 12 GB ram | MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (448 Cuda cores)

Comment

what is the process to update the rom? On my G1 (which is rooted), I just plug it into Kubuntu, mount the flash drive, and copy it to the SD card...again, the hero may be different...not sure, but it works just fine with the G1...
        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

thank you for the replies and help mate

The process is here
          http://www.htc.com/se/SupportDownloa...at=2&dl_id=671

so one have to run it on a windoze box and thru their program (.exe file) and with their HTC sync enabled/synchronising.

I'll see what I can find on VB and usb 2 and hope that is the problem ...

EDIT; thinking about it, this could be the reason that it actually did work 'slightly' in VMware when I tried Snowhogs tip here and as Virtualbox claims here , the open VB do not support USB .. I can get my USB external Harddrive to work tho .. but would that be 1.1 only then?

Comment

yeah...looks that way. I think in VB you check the ohci box to enable USB2. Only other option is to root the phone, then you would be able to upgrade from the SD, but that is not without risk.

mm0

P.S. I will say that I would never go back to a non-rooted android phone...tethering, clocking, themes, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by muzicman0
              yeah...looks that way. I think in VB you check the ohci box to enable USB2. Only other option is to root the phone, then you would be able to upgrade from the SD, but that is not without risk.

mm0

P.S. I will say that I would never go back to a non-rooted android phone...tethering, clocking, themes, etc...
              hmm yea, I'd like to try to root it but I can't afford to 'brick' it thus I rather use the standard ROM, and besides I probably would be able to root it later on, tho reports say that it will be harder to root as this ROM fills the security hole used to root it until now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas
                EDIT; thinking about it, this could be the reason that it actually did work 'slightly' in VMware when I tried Snowhogs tip here .. but would that be 1.1 only then?
                If you use VMware Player, and follow my HOWTO you linked above, you will have USB 2.0 support in VMware Players VM.
                Windows no longer obstructs my view.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  EDIT; thinking about it, this could be the reason that it actually did work 'slightly' in VMware when I tried Snowhogs tip here .. but would that be 1.1 only then?
                  If you use VMware Player, and follow my HOWTO you linked above, you will have USB 2.0 support in VMware Players VM.
                  Aye, I did, but for some reason I ruined the boot sequence (first time I've been running a VM) and I couldn't figure out what I did wrong(think I shut it down the wrong way), Virtualbox was so much easier, up to the USB trouble. (I like to use and promote easyness )

wouldn't mind to troubleshoot some more tho and figure out what and if it's the USB1/2.0 thing that make HTC sync fail. There are many people who report trouble with it, for no apparent reason, even tho they run a Win machine.

How would I see if a usb is 1 or 2.0 looking at my lsusb ? are all Bus 001 usb 2.0 ?

Comment

How would I see if a usb is 1 or 2.0 looking at my lsusb ? are all Bus 001 usb 2.0 ?
                    try
                    Code:
                    lsusb -v
                    then look for the field called bcdUSB

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
                      try
                      Code:
                      lsusb -v
                      then look for the field called bcdUSB
                      ohh, love it, cheers mate!

I'll have a look into this further when I have the time to restore it if I 'semi-brick' it, as of now I'm dependant on it laggy or not.

THIS is why I love Linux in general and Kubuntu in particular! Great OS with possibility's and transparency, and helpful and nice people using it!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                        Still have trouble to get the update done

I couldn't figure out how to actually get 2.0 to work in VB (say it should be possible but for some reason it is still 1.1 .. prob the propriety thing?)
                        Anyway I got the VMware working again and runs USB 2.0 but the ethernet is down, for all I read switching to NAT should do the job, but I can't figure out why it ain't for me.
                        Don't think I really need the ethernet for the update of the phone but could be nice to rule out the not-updated-OS-issue, and download the ROM straight to the OS would be nice.

any ideas how to solve it? Any help would be appreciated

EDIT:[solved] the ethernet with VMware +Vista added the this in the vmx file
                        Code:
                        ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

Comment

Working...
                        X