Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wireless card absolutely refuses to work!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless card absolutely refuses to work!

Hi, I have a ZyXel ZyAir B220 Wireless stick that for some odd reason won't work. It's recognized by Kubuntu, but can't seem to connect to anything. I tried just about everything, Ndsiwrapper, manual connection through ifconfig, static ip, linux driver update, nothing seems to work. The best result was from Ndsiwrapper, where it connected to my network, but looking at ifconfig said "couldn't obtain a dhcp lease". Currently running Puppy Linux which DOES use my wireless card. Though, I want Kubuntu not Puppy. I need help please!

Re: Wireless card absolutely refuses to work!

What version of Kubuntu are you wanting to use? Is your wireless stick seen/useable when booting the Kubuntu LiveCD? Have you tried using wicd as the network manager?
    Windows no longer obstructs my view.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dump network-manager. Run
      Code:
      sudo aptitude install wicd
      to install wicd which will uninstall network-manager. Edit /etc/network/interfaces to remove or comment everything except
      Code:
      auto lo 
      iface lo inet loopback
      Run wicd from Applications->Internet and configure.

Comment

Trying to get Kubuntu 9.04 to work and yes, the Live CD recognizes it but never seems to connect. keeps asking for wep key even though I put the right one in. I will try wicd.

Comment

wicd did not work. Also should mention that I have no access to a Ethernet connection only have wireless.

Comment

Since you're saying that you don't have ethernet, only wireless... can you check that the wicd package is installed? I just switched from the default network manager to wicd last night, and it took a few times of switching stuff around in my control panel and installing and stuff to get the other network manager out of the way and for it to let wicd do the job.

If it isn't installed, you might want to try
            Code:
            sudo apt-get -simulate install wicd
            and note what packages it tries to install with the wicd, and it might be a good idea to note what order it attempts to install these packages when it simulates the install. Then go and download the packages needed either on another computer, or under Puppy if you have that as a dual boot right now. Once you have all the packages saved to your computer, or on some media your computer can read, then install the packages in the order apt-get simulated their install, and you should be good to go.

Comment

I'll try that.

Comment

I tried to install wicd again and it worked! BUT NOW, Kubuntu refuses to even attempt a connection. After selecting a network and putting in the wep key, the connection instantly drops and says "wlan0 connection failed"

Comment

...is wicd set as your default network manager in your system settings? (Advanced > Hardware) In the second section, Network Management Backend. Then once you're sure that's set right, try restarting the x server.

Also, within the wicd interface's preferences, you should have a selection of drivers to select from, try experimenting with a couple of those?

Though, at this point, if none of that helps, I'm a little beyond my skill set. There are lots of people around here who've done more trouble shooting of this sort of stuff than I have though, so someone else can jump in and try to help some more?

Comment

I will see if that will work.

Comment

Everything works now thanks.

Comment

Working...
                      X