This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing colour of prompt

I do most of my work in DOS where I have complete control over the colours using ANSI. I would like to use the same colours in Linux. If it means anything, here is the DOS prompt line which I normally use: PROMPT=$e[31;40;1m$p $$$e[32;40;1m

Is there an equivelant in Linux? In the KDE konsole I use green text on black which suits me very well. The only problem is that the prompt is the same colour and I would like it to be red so that I can pick out all the prompt lines on a busy screen without so much difficulty. How can I change this? If that is difficult, then how about doing it in text mode - that would be OK too.

Re: Changing colour of prompt

If you use the default shell (bash), prompt is controlled by $PS1, $PS2, $PS3, $PS4 environment variables (where $PS1 is the "normal" prompt). If you want a permanent change, you should edit your ~/.bashrc file and change the PS1 variable to your liking.

Extensive documentation:
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Bash-Prompt-HOWTO/
    (Chapter 6.1 is about Colouring)

You can find a lot of howtos (often with examples) by googling, for example, "howto edit bash prompt"

EDIT: most other shells have their ways to change the prompt, as well

Comment

Well then! That looks like exactly what I was looking for. Yes, chapter 6.1 on colouring looks like the familiar ANSI stuff. I never would have searched for "bash prompt", although it would seem obvious (duh) but for some reason nobody talks about it. Now I'm on my way. THANKS!

Comment

kubicle@

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it. In fact, utilized it already to modify my prompt's color. Nice. 8)
        Windows no longer obstructs my view.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X