Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What CPU and video for a new computer? (It's here!)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What CPU and video for a new computer? (Preliminary picks)

Originally posted by dibl
    I've been thinking about an i7 myself, lately - the 920 is the best value, from everything I've seen.
    Yeah, the price/performance ratio seems really good. I wish I could wait a little longer though, since 6 core processors will be here soon.

For graphics, I'm an nVidia guy. I've had 3 cards from EVGA and never had a problem with any of them.
    My EVGA cards have all been great too, except for some cheap cooling fans. nVidia drivers always worked great for me on Windows, although I can't say the same for ATI. This will be the first time for me installing graphics drivers in Linux, so I'm quite nervous about it.

I use WD hard drives.
    I actually prefer Seagate because the warranty on their drives is usually 5 years, compared to 3 or less with Western Digital. Unfortunately for Seagate I came across some insider rumors, from people with real experience, about defective hardware and firmware in their most recent 1 TB and larger drives. The WD drives I have chosen are the "enterprise" class and I was hoping to use RAID to mitigate any risk of failure.

Microsoft build nice "Comfort Curve" keyboards and optical mice, IMO.
    Can't argue with that. As much as I hate MS the corporate behemoth, their keyboards and mice seem to always be the very best money can buy.
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Can't argue with that. As much as I hate MS the corporate behemoth, their keyboards and mice seem to always be the very best money can buy.
      Surely the model M is the best that money can buy. You just can't beat buckling spring! A quick Google and you'll see what I mean. Do MS keyboards get a Wikipedia articls? The ones from 20 or more years ago work like new of course, but they are still made.
      http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_keyboard

Comment

Quite frankly, for keyboards, mice, speakers and webcams I love Logitech!

Comment

Just a last minute deal, not exactly the specs of your card but almost there, and a better value I think:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...C1B-_-14130434

Comment

That is a good deal, lmilano. I bought what appears to be that exact same card back in March -- but for $80 more. Such is the life of early adopters!

But it's a great card -- runs Compiz like a champ on my 21 inch Samsung CRT.

Comment

Looking over NewEgg's reviews I see that 20% down rated that card. At least 10% did so because of card failure. From what I could see the primary reason for the failure appeared to be an insufficient power supply.

Another vice is the "minimum recommended" is +12v @36 amps. Apparently my 800w PSU only dishes out +12v @20amps and it one time powered off unexpectedly...whoops, new powersupply... But seriously thats excessively a lot of power required for a card.
              I've never used a video card that required 432 WATTS! I suspect that those whose card failed or gave artifacts on the screen were using an 800 Watt OR LESS power supply. If you buy this card I'd make sure your power supply was at least 1,000 Watts! You'll need at least 500 Watts to run the rest of the computer.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yep, he has specified an Antec 1000 watts.

I'm getting by with a 750-watt PSU (running 3 years), but I don't push the graphics all that hard or often.

Comment

Ole Juul, thank you for reminding me of these old style keyboards. I like the look of the On-The-Ball 104/105. Maybe I'll get one.

Are there any other high quality keyboard manufacturers? It is important to me because I don't use a mouse and the keyboard is my primary input device.

GreyGeek, good point. The card I have selected has an even higher power requirement.

Originally posted by EVGA GeForce GTX 285 Classified specifications
                  Minimum of a 550 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 40 Amps.)
                  Welcome newbies!
                  Verify the ISO
                  Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    I've never used a video card that required 432 WATTS! I suspect that those whose card failed or gave artifacts on the screen were using an 800 Watt OR LESS power supply. If you buy this card I'd make sure your power supply was at least 1,000 Watts! You'll need at least 500 Watts to run the rest of the computer.
                    Well, we are building Telengard's dream machine, not mine! (see Telengard's comment abpve Re: power consumption).

Comment

As is always the case, so it seems, speed is equated with POWER (Amps X Volts).... given a constant voltage... AMPS!

There is an interesting article by a Physics prof which extrapolates laptops to their logical conclusion:

"Limits to Laptops"

Enjoy!
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Interesting article!

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                        As is always the case, so it seems, speed is equated with POWER...
                        Unfortunately, most of our legacy "productivity" software runs in pretty direct correlation to the CPU clock ticks. If you're indexing a database or encoding a video or audio file, CPU speed is what it's all about. Speed = speed, in other words.

Comment

Just got off the phone with my system builder. I'm having him price CAS 6 DDR3 for comparison against the CAS8 memory which they normally use. Hopefully the slight improvement in latency will not be too costly.

He is also pricing a 1000 watt PC Power and Cooling against the Antec which I would have gotten. I just want to make sure that the power supply will be as reliable as possible against the extreme demands of the video card and CPU I've chosen.
                          Welcome newbies!
                          Verify the ISO
                          Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

It's not just a bit. CAS 6 vs 8 would have a considerable impact in responsiveness (although this thing will be so fast you would probably not notice much in normal operations, not to mention the huge cache).

Latency and bandwidth of course compete against each other, I would make sure they both support the same FSB speeds.

It would be fun to run some phoronix tests after you get it and compare with some of our mid range machines.

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
                              Quite frankly, for keyboards, mice, speakers and webcams I love Logitech!
                              i second that , logitech makes wonderful stuff , and if you ever have a problem with an item , they take care of it.
                              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48
                                i second that , logitech makes wonderful stuff , and if you ever have a problem with an item , they take care of it.
                                I have had bad luck with Logitech drivers and their hardware doesn't last very long for me. Besides, I doubt they have a keyboard or mouse that would appeal to me.

I certainly appreciate you sharing your opinions, and fully support your right to promote the product you believe in. Thank you for contributing.
                                Welcome newbies!
                                Verify the ISO
                                Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
                                X