This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading kernel and packages?

I am using Kubunu 8.10 still and I am wondering if I should upgrade to 9.04 or 9.10. I have never upgraded Kubuntu versions, though. I usually just re-install the newest Kubuntu over whatever I was using. I just thought a cleaner install is better and less risky (to avoid broken packages and causing potential issues for myself). But, I thought I should try upgrading and I am not prepared to start a fresh install. Should I install the new one, though? How do you guys figure upgrading effects you? Do you have good experiences with upgrading?

As far as upgrading/updating, what are the steps? Is there a FAQ and/or something like a wiki or step-by-step guide for this?

Please recommend. Is this a long process and should I print stuff out on it? I mean, do I risk doing anything that causes me to get stuck (for e.g., X issues)?

I use an older Nvidia video driver, I think, so I was wondering about that. Ver. 180.29 for Nvidia. For kernel version, 2.6.27-11-generic.

Thanks to anyone and everyone who replies.

Update:/P.S. I believe most of the apps are 'using' KDE 4.2.2. But, Kaffeine is using 3.5.10 Someone please explain. ??

Re: Upgrading kernel and packages?

upgrading vs clean installing
    installing the o.s. and the applications is very easy with linux in general, and with *ubuntu in particular.
    for me, it's just a lot less troubles to clean install stuff.
    even more so this time around with kde having undergone an almost complete rewrite, with ext4 available, ...
    moreover, in case of troubles, i want/need to go back to a working environment fast and without worries.
    i use kubuntu on my everyday production systems.
    i need at least one stable, working installation at all times.
    when kde4 will be stable, like kde3 was, and when the integration with kubuntu will be oiled well, then, maybe...
    but for now...

9.04 vs 9.10 issue...
    9.10 has kde4.3.
    in my view, it doesn't make sense to go 9.04 at this point.
    my 9.10 alpha is already better than my 9.04 final.
    i have a good deal of minor issues, but nothing major.
    i found good alternatives or workarounds to all my issues.
    i need to use wicd for network management (i need reliable wpa2 support).
    and, despite everything, it's still synaptics over the package kit.

nvidia drivers
    i use v185.18.14 from standard repos.
    i guess it's the latest version.
    i don't have issues with my graphical setup.
    of course my xorg.conf is not the default empty one.

kernel
    i installed 2.6.31-6 this morning, with the last batch of updates.

kaffeine
    kaffeine has also been rewritten.
    during the process, on older version was available.
    on 9.10 you'll now have v1.0-svn using kde4.3.00.

hth

my everyday system:
    dell precision m65
    2gb ram
    100gb hd
    nvidia quadro fx 350m
    intel pro wireless 3945abg
    gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

You can't upgrade to 9.10, until it is released in October. So that's a non-option today.

As far as "how", there's a special "Full Upgrade" button that pops up on Adept when your system detects a new version has been released. You just click it, and watch for any user "OKs" or whatever, but basically you leave it alone. At some points, it doesn't appear to be doing anything, but you need to leave it alone anyway. I am maintaining a relative's system that started life as 7.04, and it is 9.04 today, and has only been upgraded. I usually wait a few weeks after a version release to click the little upgrade button, to make sure the server traffic won't be an issue.

But, be forewarned -- there are always a ton of "my upgrade hung" posts after ever version release. I don't know whether I've just been very lucky, or folks get impatient and start clicking when they should be leaving it alone. So, fair warning ....

Comment

As far as upgrading/updating, what are the steps? Is there a FAQ and/or something like a wiki or step-by-step guide for this?
        > HOWTO find Kubuntu's manual / reference / guide / documentation / help
        >> Network Upgrade for Kubuntu Desktops (Recommended)
        >> UpgradeNotes
        >> Re: Jaunty Release Schedule, Plans, KDE 4.2

Update:/P.S. I believe most of the apps are 'using' KDE 4.2.2. But, Kaffeine is using 3.5.10 Someone please explain. ??
        The plan is that the Kubuntu 9.10 will be the first "all KDE 4" (that is main applications ).

> Kaffeine
        Kaffeine 1.0-pre2 released
        Sun, 08/09/2009 - 16:35 — pfister

Last but not least I'm releasing a further (pre-)release of Kaffeine.

Changelog:
        - added screen saver inhibition (using DBUS; org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver)
        - added basic playlist features: .m3u, .pls, .xspf (+ old kaffeine format),
        drag and drop, repeat mode and shuffle
        - added OSD: various notifications, now and next epg
        - added DVB-S2 support using S2 API (old API still supported for non-S2 usage)
        - improved epg: save and restore events, possibility to schedule programs
        - other fixes and improvements ...
        The kaffeine 1.0 pre2 is working nicely with the Karmic and with the 9.04 ( from the ppa repositories).
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Thanks for the comments, guys!

Yes, I have an icon at the bottom in the 'plasma panel' (is that what it is called?) which looks like a wheel and a green curled arrow. If I move the mouse cursor on it, I have the rectangular bubble (?) that 'an update to Kubuntu 9.04 is available.' I just don't use it, though. I've been waiting to be reassured, I guess.

I also am not sure if this involves a lot of time to invest in so if I did any updates, I'd want to wait until I had arranged that time. I thought updates might involve an update of the Nvidia driver and who knows what else.

I was given the sudo / update/upgrade CLI method to upgrade but didn't want to pursue that yet. I thought the graphical way would work just as well?

It's a good point that the newer KDE and use of ext4 might make the argument for a clean install. I should consider that, huh? I wanted to copy some data, though, to another hard drive. I have been running low on hard disk space so I have some data on the same partition. I usually don't like to do that but not much choice. I was planning on another drive anyway so I should be able to do this soon. I could then test the update/upgrade and if it doesn't work to satisfaction, I could always do the clean install when 9.10 is closer to release?

Comment

I'm still (happely) using Intrepid Ibix (as one of my three installed OS's). Everything I use works with it. I see no gain to moving to Jaunty Jackalope, and have no desire at all to 'play' with Karmic Koala.

Unless one desires/enjoys 'pushing the envelope' and doesn't get upset when, after doing so, things break and/or stop working, then the only reason one should consider upgrading is for features that one doesn't presently have in the release they are running, but you either want or need.

My two-cent observation.
            Windows no longer obstructs my view.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X