Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestions for a diary/journal program?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestions for a diary/journal program?

The title says it all. I want to keep a journal on my Kubuntu computer. I've tried RedNotebook and Lifeograph and they're both okay, but still a bit too lacking in features (this post is inspired by my finding the Lifeograph, which I've been using for a few days, has totally inflexible case-sensitive search).

I'd prefer not to go down the route of installing a LAMP server so I can run a localhost version of WordPress or anything like that. So are there any useful diary apps that people know? Bonus points if it has password protection!

Re: Suggestions for a diary/journal program?

Hi

I just played a bit with KJots in KDE 4.3, but it seems to limited for what you need?

Comment

Thanks - I installed it on Jaunty from the backports and it looks interesting. Just a shame there's no password protection...

Comment

Originally posted by olembe
        Thanks - I installed it on Jaunty from the backports and it looks interesting. Just a shame there's no password protection...
        Just encrypt your files with GPG. A good GUI for that would be GnuPG shell.
        <br />Have YOU signed the Ubuntu code of Conduct? I did it at 10 AUG, 2009!

Comment

Journaling can be done in a variety of ways. The problem is finding the one which suits the personal wants and needs of a specific individual.

Millions, perhaps billions of words have been written into wire wound notebooks. I know I have piles of them back in the States.

Almost any editor or word processor can be used. But, a person may want some sort of automatic indexing system, or date sorting.

Once a person becomes accustomed to that sort of convenience, one needs a really fancy program, I guess. And, like any other part of our life, it is not easy to change. I hope you find one that does exactly what you want.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'm actually now using Lifeograph, which has really improved in the past few weeks and which is in active development. It now allows searching, which was important to me, and has built-in password protection. It just needs the introduction of rich text and the ability to insert pictures and I'll be delighted

Comment

Take a look at the suggestions on Softpedia. Lifeograph heads the list, (but that may be because of the way I ran the search).

Comment

Working...
              X